View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I didn't explain that properly. Dawkins believes that people who have faith in God are idiots. He has faith in the non-existence of God. Since God's existence can be neither proved not disproved, then the only purely scientific view is to be agnostic. Dawkins by his own reasoning therefore is an idiot. As am I by his reasoning.
But you believe in God so you don't believe Dawkins's point of view so why are you offended? Didn't you ask the same question of the atheist being offended when told by the believer that they are going to hell? Regardless of his final conclusion though because God can not be proven to exist or not exist does that make all of Dawkins points invalid? I don't believe it does.

Quote:
I would agree with that. They shouldn't expect to play
But they did expect to play and the coach allowed them to play his condition was not the full game but had he not let them play they would have probably argued it was religious discrimination.

Quote:
I agree. The Catholic Church's attitude was ridiculous. Power surely does corrupt.
I believe many of the Catholic Church’s official attitudes towards things are still ridiculous for example condoms etc.

Quote:
I pay council tax in Scotland and it pays for the wages of teachers and bin men and librarians and government officials. Some of them must be paedophiles and I am funding their lifestyles. Most people in the Catholic church did not know about these men. When I joined the Church I agreed to give a fitting proportion of my time, talents and money to the Church. Again, some take that idea to the extreme, but it says nowhere in the Bible that God loves those who are generous with their money. Jews give 10% of their income as the Torah tells them to, Muslims give 2.5% of their savings as is expected of all Muslims.
The difference is by funding the Catholic Church you are essentially supporting the official views of the Catholic Church and sure you can walk away and you don't have to give money to them but this is why I say more people need to question their religion and their personal beliefs. Many people give money because it's tradition and like you said no where in the Bible does it say "God loves those who are generous with their money" but every time the Priest hands out those donation trays to the people at his church he uses those exact words. When you give your taxes over to the government and someone on their payroll turns out to be a pedophile that doesn't mean you support pedophiles. Plus if the government finds out someone on their payroll is a pedophile they don't tend to try and hide it they turn them over to the police unlike other institutions.
Quote:
The God I believe in cares about justice and charity and giving everyone a chance. I'm not sure if he believes in Atheists like Dawkins though
I thought God loves everyone?