View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Not that I thought I'd be looking this up today but!! -
  • Milk chocolate is chocolate with milk powder or condensed milk added. The U.S. Government requires a 10% concentration of chocolate liquor. EU regulations specify a minimum of 25% cocoa solids.[2] In the 1870s, Swiss confectioner Daniel Peter invented the process of solidifying milk chocolate using condensed milk, which was invented by Henri Nestle in the 1800s.[3]
  • Hershey process milk chocolate, invented by Milton S. Hershey, founder of The Hershey Company, can be produced more economically since it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. Although the process is still a trade secret, experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the American public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.
All that does is make me wanna buy a platter of chocolate bars...

Don't know if I agree with "sour and tangy,"--I always thought that better described non milk chocolate--but since my palate is accustomed to the taste, I wouldn't know.