View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
A step backward? In all incarnations the effects were slightly different, but similar in a way you could see the progression. If you are speaking of Nostalgia, then why the hell did they choose to do a TOS reboot? That's nostalgic on it's own. I am in NO way saying the effects should have been directly ported from past Trek variations, but at least keep some similarity. I didn't see the "warp" stretching effect, I didn't see a Trek transporter effect, and on and on. O f course I expected something new and different, but not COMPLETELY different. The story has way too many things that were stupid so I won't even start on that road.
You're right; you saw new takes on those effects; you're arguing over personal nostolgia which unfortunately I find, is weak at best.
And for the record, the stretching warp effect always bugged the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Even if comms and sensors were being jammed, don;t you think it is more than slightly stupid to warp right smack into an area that is being jammed? When is flying in blind a good idea? How about dropping out of warp early enough to get a better look? Dang it! I didn't want to start on the stupid parts of the movie!
And what would they do from a distance?
Sit in the briefing room ala' TNG, while Vulcan is still under attack?