View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Troi driving the Enterprise. One of the main problems with the TNG films; too many characters with nothing to do. Why does the ship's counselar get to helm what, the most valuable Federation starship asset? Character development, my ***. This is also the Batazed who gets the character development of getting mind-raped for a plot element in Nemesis that felt shoehorned on.
That's also a problem with the TOS films IMO.

I don't think it falls under character development, true - but in both scenarios the bridge has been trashed in battle and it seems replacement crew was thin on the ground.

Troi underwent command training in the series, so she was qualified to be in command by the time of the movies and instead of hiring an extra that has to be called up, why not have Sirtis (whose likely costing a lot more anyway) step in.

Quote:
"God".
Quote:
Take it or leave it, Star Trek V may have been a favourable for some Kirk/Spock/McCoy love, but the plot (and special effects) resembles a bad TOS episode.
Can't really disagree with any of that. Except I'd like more umbrage taken with the bad science about the Galactic Core. It evens up the Supernove thing from the new film.

Quote:
The plastic surgery bad guys from Insurrection.
Quote:
What the hell? No seriously, what the hell was that all about? Maybe an allegory to Hollywood's obsession with staying young, but it sure as heck wasn't Star Trek. Insurrection's main idea about a conspiracy inside Starfleet and a forced re-location is actually a pretty good movie treatment. Unfortunately this is probably the weirdest film enemy the Trek crew have ever had. I've never felt uncomfortable or weird watching Star Trek until the enemies in Insurrection got some screen time.
Yeah, the 'I just want to be pretty and young' thing was very lame. The forced relocation aspects could have been interesting but had been dealt with in TNG (The Cardassian DMZ) and we knew the answer already.

Yes, the Federation would screw a group of people if it decided it was worth it. That same thing has happened several times in real Earth history so they were up a creek without a paddle trying to sell that one.

Especially when Picard went along with the DMZ decision and enforced it for Starfleet in the latter episodes of TNG.

courtesy of Saquist