View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Oh absolutely, I think that the cause and effect thing in relation to the way that things unfold is important. Just not the specific dates. The way I like to look at it, Khan hasn't happened yet. Maybe that is right around the corner. To me it makes more sense in the big picture to look at it that way, rather than to try and put a round peg in a square hole and say these things happened in the 90's, and we didn't see them. If that pushes back some of the other dates so be it.

So all of the things that happened still happened in relation to each other, just maybe if Khan left Earth in the early 21st century, maybe the Romulan war happened closer to the end of the 22nd century. Everything just gets pushed back a bit, but the overall story is the same.
Precisely, setting the Eugenics Wars into the 90s in a show that was produced during the 60s translates into "the not too distant future".
The basic idea behind all that "pre-history" of Trek seems to be that humankind might go through hell before things start to improve, a pretty natural idea during the Cold War.