View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Ensign

Default Gay character in ST XI?

Is there going to be a gay character in Star Trek XI? For me, the biggest problem in every star trek incarnation so far has been the complete lack of gay characters. The producers have gone out of their way to make it clear that every main character we have had so for has been heterosexual.

For the franchise that started off so well, with the first interracial kiss, a black woman on the bridge, and so many stories focussed on human rights and equality, it's a real disappointment that it hasn't moved with the times and introduced a gay character.

I'm not saying there should be a major gay focus. No issue needs to (or even should) be made of homosexuality - a character should just so happen to have a same sex partner or love interest.

As times have changed over the last decades, the absence of gay characters has become more and more conspicuous. To leave them out again would be even more conspicuous today, and I think it would have many people asking questions.

Star Trek has always been a franchise that dealt with today's issues in a future context. And it needs to continue along that vein and reclaim the position it once had.

And let's face it, with the recent success of movies with gay content, the producers have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.