View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Like a lot of Trek fans, I love the idea of getting going on space exploration and the first baby steps of colonization of space. However, I'm not sold on the idea that this is the time for America to be putting the tax dollars into it. There is a lot of things on our plate here that needs to be addressed in terms of a deficit that seems to be about to spiral out of control, two foreign wars, and a ton of work that needs to be done in the American infrastructure. I think that the priority right now should be on the US getting it's house in order first.
The question is how we do it and if spending money on space is considered at best a luxury expense or at worst pork. I see spending on space as a future investment and the kind of investments we should be making. Government makes alot of bad investment decisions, like going to war, military spending instead of healthcare, etc. I think investing in space is smart, it forces new technological breakthroughs that can be put to domestic use. I agree that we should also be investing in American infrastructure, education and healthcare, and rebuilding America as an industrial economy.