View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Vice Admiral

I was considered a "nerd" while I was in high school. NOT because of Star Trek or because of other interests of mine, simply because I got good grades and usually got along well with my teachers. I was in Air Force J.R.O.T.C the entire 4 years of high school and that was thought of by many to be "nerdy". The only "Trekkie" thing I ever did was wear a TNG communicator on my leather jacket. Many people recognized it for what it was, others thought it was just some sort of jewelry (I wore a metal communicator that made NO sounds, NOT the plastic toy kind).

Every now and then I was made fun of while I was in my ROTC uniform. It was the same thing every time. I was called names like "smurf", because the uniform was blue. In my little town there are a bunch of wanna-be gangsta "cholo" types. I had to knock a couple of them around in order for them to give me my due respect (I defended myself and ended up hurting two of them) I got off without a suspension because I was well liked by my teachers and by the administration!!

I never thought of high school as the hardest part of my life. Sure, as a teenager it can be difficult to find your own way, but I had good friends, whom I still have to this day, 18 years later. My family unit was always strong and my father's military background instilled discipline, hard work, and moral values in me. I knew early on NOT to make friends with people I knew were into things like gangs or drugs. My friends like to play chess, many were in ROTC, and some were also Trekkies. You have to surround yourself with people that share some of your interests in order to make lasting friendships.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 06-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.