Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Well, let's see...

Terminator = ripoff of Outer Limits' episode "Soldier"
Aliens = Ripoff of Heinlien's "Starship Troopers"
Abyss = Ripoff of Crichtion's "Sphere"

And now this one...

He may be an amazingly visual filmmaker, but his stories need to be more frackin' original!
WELL,

What was it I was taught in high school literature class? That there were only five (or six) plots. ALL stories are variations on those basic themes.
Terminator a ripoff of that OL ep? Inapt description. Inspired by, based on, update of, fancy-shmancy re-do or whatever. But I can't imagine you're suggesting that OL ep stands in a place so exalted that the theme should not be revisited. And can't be bettered.
Aliens is a great continuation of Scott's classic (which itself owes its existence to horror and sci-fi stories and film that came before it) and is itself a minor classic that's been recognized as one of the few sequels that if not equals, is a worthy comanion piece to its predecessor.
And Abyss a is great sci-fi film. Boring? I don't see that. At all! Did you find the original Alien boring? The Abyss moves at a much quicker pace than that film. Of course my favorate sci-fi film is 2001! Someone elsewhere on this board compared watching that movie to watching paint dry. I don't agree but that's very funny. I can see why someone might say that. Very funny.

But back to originality. Jesus the Christ said "There's nothing under the sun that's new." All of Cameron's work has been freash and exciting. IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's really not a big problem for me.

Abyss ....was a way better film than Levinson's adaption.
I concur!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Of the ones I've seen (all but Pirahna 2), the only two Cameron films I don't like are True Lies and The Abyss (just too long and boring for me).
I just can't agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Can't say I've ever seen the theatrical cut. Depends on which one they constantly show on Encore over here in the US. I just lose interest in the movie, and haven't ever been able to sit through the entire thing.
The first time I saw the new Trek film I thought it may've been a bit too slam-bam; too intense. I this age of the nanosecond and even smaller delta T's of temporal measurement "hours are like days and minutes like hours". And thoughtful reflection is like death. In this ADD, ADHD, MOUSEIEIO culture in which we live....
But you can WAKE UP now. I'm through.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'