Thread: the office
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
No disrespect taken here, Starbase. I'm lucky enough to've gotten into Peter Sellers' through the Pink Panther movies (on the telly) in the late 60's then Monty Python's Flying Circus in the 70's, brill! Then Fawlty Towers, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and the Python films. Brit and US humor are different. It could almost be said we're two nations divided by an uncommon sense of humor! But don't give up on us. I'm biased as well- biased towards funny! I've found both are awesome and both can be appreciated.
Thanks Metal Beastie.

Theres no way im giving up on America LOL - i have so many happy memories of the places and the people.

Dont get me wrong, ive had a chuckle at friends, Frasier etc from time to time but never followed them religiously. I always liked SGT Bilko with phil silvers if it was on and when i was a kid i used to watch American stuff like WKRP in Cinncinatti as well as Happy days etc. i thought those were pretty good.

Now then, you mentioned some golden nuggets there Beastie!! Peter sellers was a class act indeed - a true great of Brit comedy and Fawlty towers remains as funny today as it was when it was first screened in the 70's on the BBC. Im a fan of people like sellers, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Morecambe and Wise, Benny Hill and so on.

Ive just realised whilst typing that as far as i know we dont tend to remake american made comedies to suit UK viewers as the USA does. we just show the US version here. thats strange isnt it. I can think of a number of UK comedies remade by the USA but i cant think of any the other way around. Im happy to be corrected of course. perhaps we have but just that im not aware of them.

Its also Ironic that (in my opinion) the worlds greatest comedy double act were British and and American ...Laurel & Hardy.

yes i agree perhaps we are two nations divided by an uncommon sense of humour LOL.

cheers
starbase Britain