View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I haven't seen it yet, but I knew about this. I think it can be supported as "canon". You need to look at a couple of episodes.

1 )The Man Trap

You can see it at HULU here:
http://www.cbs.com/hd/video.php?cid=...set=0&show=all

The scene starts at 10:33 in the show. Uhura blatantly flirts with Spock.
SPOCK: Miss Uhura, your last sub-space log contained an error in the frequencies column.
UHURA: Mister Spock, sometimes I think if I hear that word frequency once more, I'll cry.
SPOCK: Cry?
UHURA: I was just trying to start a conversation.
SPOCK: Well, since it is illogical for a communications officer to resent the word frequency, I have no answer.
UHURA: No, you have an answer. I'm an illogical woman who's beginning to feel too much a part of that communications console. Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a lazy evening when the moon is full.
This is on duty, on the bridge, in front of the rest of the bridge crew, but he does not reprimand her. Then, a message comes from the transporter room that the landing party is beaming up and reports one death.
SPOCK: Bridge acknowledging.
UHURA: I don't believe it.
SPOCK: Explain.
UHURA: You explain. That means that somebody is dead and you just sit there. It could be Captain Kirk. He's the closest thing you have to a friend.
That’s insubordination, isn’t it? Certainly “He’s the closest thing you have to a friend” is hurtful and personal. Yet, he does not reprimand her. Minimally, he is letting her behave in an entirely unprofessional manner with no consequences.

2) Charlie X

Again, on HULU

http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_tre...aBPpzEUsW0mcR2

The scene starts at about 9:58 in the show. Uhura is singing a song while Spock plays his harp (or lyre or whatever you want to call that thing).

Oh, on the starship Enterprise There's someone who's in Satan's guise Whose devil ears and devil eyes Could rip your heart from you. At first, his look could hypnotise And then his touch would barbarise His alien love could victimise And rip your heart from you. And that's why female astronauts, Oh, very female astronauts Wait terrified and overwrought To find what he will do. Oh, girls in space, be wary, be wary, be wary, Girls in space, be wary. We know not what he'll do.
His look? His touch? His “alien love”? Isn’t this beyond personal?

I realize that one can pick out "moments" and discover a "possible relationship" between any number of "couples"....but at least the Uhura thing isn't out of the blue.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!