View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I thought this too at the beginning. But there are too many differences between the "real" original timeline and the movie timeline prior to Nero's appearance for them to be the same. I think that Nero and Spock emerge in and alternate universe (Abramsverse) that is about 99% identical to the "real" universe that they left. There are differences, but they are minor. Kirk being born in space instead of in Iowa. Delta Vega being an "ice planet" instead of a desolate desert wasteland like in "WNMHGB". Delta Vega being extremely close to planet Vulcan instead of being located at the edge of the galaxy as in WNMHGB. Captain Pike possibly being many years older than he appeared to be in the flashback scenes from "The Menagerie". Chekov apparently being much older than he was in the original universe. Those are all pre-Nero examples that are different in the Abramsverse as opposed to the "real" or "prime" as Orci called it, universe. That's why I subscribe to the alternate universe theory as opposed to simple linear time travel along the same timeline. The facts just don't line up prior to Nero's appearance.
I totally get where you're coming from, Zim...even if I don't share the same mindset.

I respect your opinion, but I think the "ice planet" note is debatable. I mean, Earth has two polar regions and desert regions all over the planet. Isn't it entirely possible that this is some kind of polar region on a different part of the planet?

The other observations on Delta Vega I'm absolutely on board with. This one, though, seems like there could be a reasonable explanation if they wanted there to be one.

Just a thought...