View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
I’m going back in time.

IThis was the TV-show that truly captivated me as a kid. The network marketing of it was huge. Before the premiere June Lockhart appeared on the afternoon game show “Password.” Host Allen Ludden discussed the show with her and they played a preview clip.

I remember the first episode. I was there sitting on the floor in front of the B&W. It aired on Sept. 15, 1965 at 7:30 p.m. I never saw the entire episode. I was 7 years old and bedtime was 8 p.m.

I was able to enjoy the subsequent episodes, particularly during summer vacation. But, I was never able to see the very first episode. It wasn’t until adulthood when I viewed it again on the Sci-Fi Channel. Years later I purchased the video collection.

My childhood fondness of the series endures. The first two seasons were favorites until things started to get ridiculous. Meanwhile, Star Trek was getting bounced around from one time spot to the next. But, that’s another story.
I read on wikiped that much more money was spent on this series than Roddenberry was able to spend. When you watch the show, at least at first, the props were actually pretty good for the time. I loved the Chariot, Robot, Jupiter 2 and later the Pod. I read that each epi in season one was about 139k for each one. That was alot of money!