View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i have a question: do u think people become astray from religion and god when they embrace homosexuality?

That's an interesting question, and one that is central to many people's irrational fears and prejudices against gays. Personally, I doubt that God distances him/her/itself from anyone on the basis of what they are born with. What if the church (a creation of man) decided that all left handed people were evil, and should be shunned? Do you really think God would follow suit?

There's a very, very strong case that homosexuality is something people are born with. There might be a "gay gene" or it could be the result of a delicate balance of hormones while developing in the womb. Either way, it's not something you can just switch off, anymore than a straight person can wake up one day and change their orientation to being gay.

What I was taught, was that God knows us all right down to the last atom. We are ALL imperfect, and capable of doing wrong. What keeps us in God's grace is admitting that we screw up, and we keep trying to do better. I don't know about you, but loving someone else, being there for them, building a life together and helping them with getting through this existence in a way that encourages that kind of growth... is NOT a sin. And it doesn't matter if that person is the same, or opposite sex as you.

Tell me though... who do you think is closer to God? The gays just trying to love one another... or the straights who beat them, take away their rights, and allow them to die saying a virus is "God's judgement?"

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.