View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
It's official: The Iowa state ledge has made it legal for gay couples to marry. This makes them the third state of the union to do so. It also puts them way ahead of Star Trek in two ways: 1) admitting that they exist. and 2) allowing them to be an equal part of society. All in present day, and not in the 24th 1/2 century.

The embarassment continues: 40 years of Trek, and not one gay character in the entire series.
In truth, very few characters in TOS explored their sex life. Certainly the fact that Spock gave up heterosexual sex in Amok Time and embraced Kirk at the end of that episode implies where his affections lie. Whether he ever acted on any of this or lived celibate is unknown, as far as I'm aware.

I think it was the huge intolerance that was born in the late 1970's and 1980's that really cast the possibility of Spock loving Kirk in a very ill and even ridiculed light.

On NPR (Fresh Air, I think) recently they were talking about the rise of these new "bromance" movies (I love you, Man) and how if you read the letters of men to each other prior to around 1880 (in the USA) , they would often say "I love you" or "I can't wait to be with you again." Something happened in the 1880's that shifted European based culture (especially in the USA) away from these types of expressions of male to male affection. The guy on NPR said the word "homosexual" didn't even come into exisitance until the 1880's. I don't know if that is true or not.

All I know is that if my son turns out to be gay I'd want him to have a home and family. I'd want him to be able to marry and adopt because he's a very loving boy and would make a great dad regardless of who is partner is.