Thread: Inconsistencies
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*C'mon, give the cameo a break!*
I do. It's why Kelley was there, as personal favor to Roddenberry. That also is documented. I said he was not mentioned by name. That was disputed. He was there to lend "legitimacy" to this new generation to TOS fans but denied the direct connection to TOS by sly omission of name.

*Although I'm not entirely sure what the 'fans' corrected*
The internet was not until years later.
Ask those who were at conventions during Q&A sessions why TOS was being given short-shrift on TNG. Also, do not forget the loyalty TOS fans (and fans of TOS cast members) had against TNG.
I recall vividly witnessing uncomfortable situations (and harsh words) between TOS uniform wearing fans and TNG uniform wearing fans.
Those were... interesting times.
Unfortunately I never was able to attend such events, so never witnessed such ridiculous behaviour and while on one hand I can see why TOS fans unwilling to embrace the new wanted the familiar back, I'm afraid I'm still no clearer as to what exactly they sought. But whether they should ever have gotten it is debatable.

Quote:
*But it doesn't make TNG a reboot because he couldn't get TOS back anyway*
Quote:
Read back. I said "failed" reboot. I am perfectly aware TOS had moved beyond his control, which is precisely why it was hand-waved away as much as possible and ignored like a sack-cloth and ashes red-headed step-child.

That didn't last (fan demands), but was minimized as an influence as much as possible. Only when TNG had gone beyond Roddenberry's immediate control was TOS again recognized as part of the "family".
Personally I think they were right to avoid direct linkage until the show had begun to stand on it's own feet. It had to be able to do without constantly referring to the nostaglic past of TOS because that was looking backwards. For me the first rule would be 'can the show work on it's own?'. Once you've done that, you can start to revisit and reference the past. It had achieved that before 'Sarek', which I think was the first major (apart from the Kirk reference in 'The Naked Now) TOS reference.

Whether that coincidence was specifically due to Roddenberry's reduced role by that time is possible, but I think TNG had already established itself as it's own series by the time they did it.

Last edited by kevin : 01-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.