View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
The original E is a beautiful ship. It's not a relic. It is a timeless design that still holds up today. "In A Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials And Tribble-Ations" are perfect examples of how the original Constitution class holds up brilliantly today even when compared to modern filming techniques. There's no reason the Jeffries design could not have been used in this film with only slight surface texturing and detailing.
I don't expect you to agree, but here's my view. The television effects you're describing are way short of movie quality (I have great fondness for the old designs too). They look very obviously like CG renders done in a hurry and on a comparatively low budget, and to be honest even as a piece of TV FX work don't stand up well to modern scrutiny. Look at Zoic studios' work on Battlestar Galactica for a more up to date example. Modern film effects strive to look real and they use a lot of sophisicated lighting and rendering to do this. It isn't just a question of the surface texturing or small details either. The big cylindrical simple forms don't cut it in today's high quality world of design. They were great in the sixties and the design is iconic but more than just "slight surface detailing" is required to bring them up to date. You may have noticed that none of the Star Trek films, even the beloved old ones used the original sixties design as is. Why do you think that might be?