View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Honestly, I never cared for the word "canon" used to describe a fictional universe. As a Christian, I prefer the word "consistency" or "Continuity". Canon has traditionally been used to describe events set forth in the Bible. Star Trek is not a religion. It is a TV show that has an imense following and 40 years of televised history. So "canon" is not an appropriate term in this case. I am an advocate of consistency. And so far, what I have seen and read concerning this latest iteration of Trek shows that JJ may be disregarding established Star Trek continuity in favor of a BSG-style re-inmagining of the franchise. I don't like that idea, but there's nothing I can do about it. Just my two cents.
Indeed. The bible canon is made of 66 books written by 40 different individuals. The concept is to remove any book that does not agree or follow the pattern of monotheism set by Abraham.

Star Trek does not do anything of the sort. There are numerous articles of information that are constantly in contradiction with each other and according to Paramount all that is need is for it to be on screen to be considered "canon", but it's not, nor is it consistent. It's a contradiction of epic proportion vs the word canon. What they really mean is that it's all the History of Trek and it doesn't matter when it does contradict because it wasn't meant to all be seamless. As I said on another thread, Precision and Tolerance is always a function of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
I agree I don't like talk of canon, but there again certain individuals who attack the new film because it breaks 'canon' do behave and speak rather like people who are very zealously religious.

I do not mind that JJ has broken this 'canon' to some extent, but I admit that for example in deciding to use TOS style uniforms I would have preferred him to use TOS style uniforms not modified versions. In other words I appreciate that the bridge set from the 1960s was never going to work on a 2009 film, but the same can not be said about uniforms. I do worry slightly that Star Trek could end up like the truely terrible remake of Planet of the Apes.
Broken? I don't think he has. By labeling it a "reimagining" he's made sure he has a bit of artistic license and that was why he said it so we wouldn't be shocked by his creation. I may not completely like the look but I likely will like the movie.

The remakes that have happened in the past I felt were pretty good.
"Planet of the Apes" that's a movie I'll watch again.
"Lost in Space" was actualy smart...creative and colorful. I like heather graham and the friends guys in the movie...it was great and hot.

Last edited by Saquist : 12-03-2008 at 05:33 AM.