View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
Well, if that's the case, I'd much rather see you write a novel. Or is that not something that you do? I know writers tend to specialize in different areas. Is a novel something you would be comfortable with? If so, it would be really cool to see something published that was written by one of us (fans and members of the forum).
Maybe you could do something involving the transition from April to Pike. I guess that might sound a little too similar to what we're getting with the new movie, but that would obviously be the end of any similarities.
Well, here I'll cop to a big old character flaw: when I'm not getting paid, I'm lazy. *laughs*. Let me explain that. A novel is in the range of 300-400 pages, single spaced. A feature length screenplay is between 90-110 (go much more than 100 and you're risking having it chucked unread, beyond 110 and you're guaranteeing it.) A television pilot runs about 90 (typically the length of two 45 minute, 5 act television episodes.) All of that runs about even with the equation of 1 page of script equalling 1 minute of screen time.

So to bottom-line it: about 90-110 pages is as much unpaid work as I care to do, even for love.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."