View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Re the bridges, yes the Bridge of a starship is a plug-in module that can indeed be ejected to serve as a lifeboat in an emergency. It's also placed there on the saucer and built as a separate module to enable faster upgrades of bridge systems and interfaces etc. You just unplug the old one, plug in the new and Hey Presto!! New shiny bridge!

Which is also why there is a wide variety of bridge designs between even the same classes of starship. There were even theorised to be mission specific modules - for pure science work etc that could be swapped over for certain types of mission.

....a-ha! A-HAAA!!!! It's so SIMPLE now! I understand completely! Finally!

NOW I know why, during TOS and the TMP-era, the weapons were never, ever fired from one single station! Sometimes it would be the helm station. In the next episode, it's the nav station. One of the movies showed a dedicated "weapons station", but the very next movie had the weapons back at the nav station. And that's why - Starfleet kept installing new bridges every week.

I can imagine Kirk, sitting in his quarters, when Spock contacts him. "Captain, the new bridge has been installed and is now operational." "Thank you, Spock - by the way, where's the "fire" button THIS time?" I swear, if Star Trek VII had been a TMP-era movie, rather than a TNG movie, the weapons controls would've been on Uhura's panel.