View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
look here

Now between the three of em, I gotta say. The Original is fine and upstanding, the refit (my fave) is spectacular, and the New one...well, from the picture it does in fact look like nothing to write home about.

The engine Pylons look droopy, the saucer section out of place. Yet, at the same time when I see it zooming around in the trailer, It takes on a totally new life and somehow becomes much more identifiable as a constitution class starship. It's like the motion actually breathes a bit of sparkle and life into the otherwise, saggy model, leading me to believe that we should all take a deep breath, and wait to judge the ship when we can see it, to be blunt, on a really big screen, and for more than a few frames at a time.
Another fine post which underscores the importance of CONTEXT in any such judgments, a lesson some are still not accounting for in their commentary (though that's their right).

Like, love or hate the new ship design, NONE of us know its full context in the film -- yet we collectively have decades of experience with the TOS Enterprise, the Refit, TNG's E. We've seen them from all angles, in a battle, docked in orbit, circling planets and zipping into warp space.

But we've only seen splinters of the 'reality' of the Abrams' version. There is simply no logical way to effectively compare the three side-by-side (figuratively speaking) with the new ship being at such an information disadvantage. Seeing glimpses of it in motion on a big screen or even our monitors changed many opinions on this ship -- it didn't set them in stone, naturally, but contexts changed many perceptions considerably from that lone, cropped still photo.

Suppositions can be made and conclusions may be jumped to this early, but it's all based on incomplete data, including that all-important context of dramatics which abound for the other ships we know so well, like them better or not.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!