View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAReber View Post
I'm going off of memory but from what I can remember, kirk stated he was 33 years old in them middle of his 5 year mission. The menagerie stated captain Christopher pike's accident was 15 years earlier where Spock was under his command at least 15 years ago. Which means kirk would have been around 18 years old at the time captain Pike lost command of the enterprise due to the accident. Does this mean another captain for the enterprise existed in between captain pike and captain kirk? Furthermore, the ship being built in the trailer could not have been the Starship Enterprise.

Will Finigan be in the movie, kirks star fleet bully?
All your points are very valid in my mind. Unfortunately, this movie warps (no pun intended) history to such a degree that I couldn't begin to explain it. My understanding is that the incident on Talos IV took place 13 years before the events in The Menagerie, during which Spock was on board, not as 1st officer, I would guess a lieutenant or so. At the same time, Kirk would have been about 20 and probably in the middle of his academy training. Checkov should have been in grade school at that point. Kirk should have been born in 2233, making him a pre-teen when the Enterprise was first launched, so yeah, I would think that the shiip appearing in the trailer should NOT be the Enterprise..... (John Belushi imitation) but NOOoooo... Everything's different now.

After seeing everything we've already been shown, I'd be shocked it details such as Finnegan and Gary Mitchell were even contemplated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
STNV Episode 'In Harm's Way' shows the background for Pike's injury
Yeah- great episode. Though I think the episode was called "Come What May." I think it happened on board a Cadet/training ship because those were the ones who Pike saved by his actions.