View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Commander

I love both Trek and Wars. Both of them are excellent entertainment. Star Wars is an old movie serial (Think Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and the like) with a new look, and stretched out to feature length. Those old B&W sci-fi serials kept you on the edge of your seat, and always kept you wanting more. And i always leave the theater after a Star Wars movie feeling that way. I also leave the theater after a Star Trek film wanting more, but for a completely different reason. Because when I'm watching Star Wars, I'm watching an adventure. When I'm watching Star Trek, I feel like I'm part of the adventure. I always say Trek is more meaningful because if we survive long enough, there's going to be a ship like the Enterprise one of these days, and people like Kirk, Scott, McCoy, Uhura etc., people like us, flying it. Maybe we won't be there, but if we manage to keep this planet in one piece long enough, then it will happen, at least partially, because of us. I like that feeling better than trying to flip on a light switch using the force, because I'm too lazy to get up and turn it on. Bottom line: Star Wars is about somebody else's past (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), Star Trek is about OUR future (to boldly go where no man has gone before). It's as simple as that.