View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Ensign

To be honest, I'm actually looking forward to it *more* when I see that Pine and Quinto aren't trying to mimic Shatner and Nimoy.

Look, Superman Returns was a flop for me because it was Bryan Singer trying to be Richard Donner (literally), and in effect, making Brandon Routh an imitation of Christopher Reeve. It was a great Chris Reeve impersonation, but it immediately made me think about that impersonation, instead of seeing Routh as Kent/Superman.

It didn't work for one second, and only made the effort even more crappy, IMO.

Knowing that it's JJ re-introducing the characters and universe to us with updated looks and new actors automatically means that I would demand the new actors aren't trying to imitate the original's acting characteristics.

I don't want Chris Pine levying stilted-tempo dialogue that reminds me of a slipping transmission because that's what all Shatner impressions sound like, even the great ones, and I certainly don't want to see a feature film that looks like a contest of best previous-actor-in-the-role impersonations.

Besides, as was pointed out earlier, Pine seems to be doing the Shatner Gangster-Lean in the captain's chair, so there's going to be more than enough TOS actor homages (wessels) to go around for every character.

Just don't...have...Chris Pine...speaking...in mock Shatner. It would beee...preposterous.