View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Midshipman

I honestly didn't like much of it. I know this won't be believed on the boards but I wrote for the series... (TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent.) and we always tried to keep things in continuity. On Enterprise we battled an uphill battle of making a "non-Star Trek" Star Trek series. It wasn't until Manny came on that the suits would listen. Now they get their way again. I think this would be a good Sci-Fi film. Not a good Star Trek. Too much continuity is thrown out the window. I like the action that seems to be driving the film.

Being "gritty" is one thing that I always thought that the show needed. Which is why DS9 was the most fun to work on. This film seems to have that. But the ship... I hate. To me that is like changing the "S" on Superman's costume. There is no need. The bridge looks too much like a movie set than something functional. Too much of the original series is thrown in (Pike, April, Romulans, Klingons) The first draft of the script (granted it was some time ago) was way too confusing and stuffed to the rafters. I'm sure now that it has been streamlined. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD or see it at the discount movie theater for $2.00. But I hold out hope that I'll be presently surprised.