View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant

Hello all - my first post here, so I'll try not to get too long-winded. By way of introduction, I will say that I've been a fan since the very early 1970's and I've remained a fan throughout all the later incarnations of Star Trek, although I consider myself primarily a Gene Roddenberry fan. I've been to many conventions over the years and I saw Roddenberry speak at a Grand Slam con about 20 years ago.

I've seen the new trailer and I've read JJ Abrams' comments on it, so now I have some comments of my own. In fact, I have a lot of comments, but I'll limit it to my top 3 for now:

1) I think they nailed the young Spock with the choice of Zachary Quinto, but Chris Pine as Kirk – not so much. Perhaps he will grow on me during the course of his performance.

2) I was a little put off at first by the seemingly emotional and angry demeanor of Spock when he says to Kirk, “I will not allow you to lecture me.” And then there’s a quick scene where he is apparently attacking Kirk. When I saw this for the first time, it seemed very much out of character for our beloved Vulcan, who was always so logical, calm & unemotional. I read Abrams’ comments on this and he explains that Spock is not without emotions, he just chooses the Vulcan path of suppressing them (duh.) Apparently, in JJ’s interpretation, Spock’s half-human nature made this far more difficult for him than most fans might assume. I know it will cause ripples of discontent in fanboy circles, but I happen to agree with him. As seen in the animated episode, “Yesteryear,” Spock was quite emotional as a child, at least by Vulcan standards. In the original pilot episode with Cpt. Pike – “The Cage” – Spock actually smiled (at humming plants.) Plus, even in the original series, he often showed that his emotions were not far below the surface. I would have to say that as a young adult, he very well may have behaved in a much more human manner than what we’re used to.

3) The new Enterprise is a real stickler for me. I like it from a purely design point of view; I think it’s a great fusion of the original and the movie version of NCC-1701. From a continuity standpoint, I think it actually makes more sense than the original version, given the design of the NX-01 from Enterprise. Unlike the original version, this one looks like it truly represents an advancement from Archer’s ship, but it still allows for the upgrade/refit of the movie era version. And I really do completely understand the need to revise it for the big screen (after all, even Gene had to do so for “ST-TMP.”) Buuuuut . . . I still can’t seem to let go of the desire to see them stick to the original design and just give it more detail. That iconic ship was, for me, the real star of the show and the old girl has held up to revision & modern digital detailing several times. To be honest, it’s the one role in which I’m having the hardest time accepting a new, “younger actor.” I don’t know if I can ever truly accept this new design, but I will try.

In closing, I will leave you with a quote that I’ve been referencing a lot lately. It’s from Gene Roddenberry himself and I believe it’s from back in the 1970’s at one of the early conventions. I could be mistaken about that, but the quote is relevant here nonetheless:

“I think it would be wonderful years from now to see Star Trek come back with an equally talented new cast playing Spock and Kirk and Bones and Scotty and all the rest as they say tomorrow’s things to tomorrow’s generations”

Just one more instance where Gene was incredibly prophetic. I’ll hold this thought in mind until I see the movie for myself, which I’m sure I will do the day it comes out.

Last edited by CDH-313 : 11-21-2008 at 11:39 PM.