View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I disagree with the general sentiment being used to excuse this, the one that goes, "Well, you don't know every tiny-est detail, so you really ought to put blinders on and pretend you don't know anything at all!"

BS. I see a dorsal fin break the water, I don't need to know exactly how many teeth are in the shark's mouth to know it's a shark. I see a starship bridge that looks like it was designed by Apple in cooperation with Ikea, I don't need to know what the context is for that figurative middle finger to know that I, as a fan, have just been flipped off.
Well the problem there is, if you don't bother to consider the context you have no idea what you're actually flipping off. And you don't know anything at all about the context of that picture, neither does anyone else. Now you might be proven correct when the facts and context are known, you might not be, but I have never seen anyone on this forum more determined to shoot down this film because it doesn't fit with a personal vision of how it should be to you.

It's exactly the kind of insular Trek sensibility that has turned it into an entity that's in need to saving. I appreciate you love Trek and want to keep it alive, but it's exactly this kind of approach to things that actually ends up killing it.