The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I have doubts about this movie. (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993)

spock84 03-09-2008 11:47 AM

I have doubts about this movie.

You know, when I read that Paramount was planning to release "Star Trek" next May instead of this Christmas, I was very sad. Don't get me wrong, but I think this is just because they're being greedy. So my answer is if they're gonna treat it like a cash cow, maybe I don't want to see it all.:sad:

Saquist 03-09-2008 12:03 PM

I don't know about that.
Maybe this is about confidence in the film. They are made for money and not just fans as the thread said a while ago...but I'm not sure wehre I stand with this.

Welcome aboard Spock84.

spock84 03-09-2008 12:37 PM

Thank you Saquist. Maybe I'm just upset that I have to wait longer than expected. I'll be 18 next month and most "Trekkers" start out at 18. But now I have to wait until I'm 19 for this movie. It's really frustrating.:thumbdown:

RedShirtWalking 03-09-2008 01:40 PM

Wait, wait, wait...when hasn't Paramount treated Star Trek like a cash cow? That's what they're in the business of doing, honestly. They don't put out more Star Trek because they like the stories--they put out more Star Trek when there's a market for it (read: it will make them a load of dough). It's been that way since Paramount picked up the Desilu properties and they remembered they "had a space thing" after Star Wars had been released.

This will be a good film, maybe even great. Don't let Paramount's actions influence your desire to see the film. :)

FireDevlin 03-09-2008 02:25 PM

I agree with RedShirt. Paramount is in the business of making money. Lets just hope that a good movie makes money more then a cruddy pillaging of TOS canon movie.

I am very hopeful it is less of the latter.

the_tortel! 03-09-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking (Post 23143)
This will be a good film, maybe even great. Don't let Paramount's actions influence your desire to see the film. :)

Amen to that

Gary Seven 03-09-2008 02:59 PM

Waiting is difficult

This is like ST:TMP in 1979 all over again. We'll get over this. It's going to be a great movie.

JBElliott 03-09-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Seven (Post 23156)
This is like ST:TMP in 1979 all over again. We'll get over this. It's going to be a great movie.

Well if it is like ST:TMP, that means we won't get a great movie. :D Sure it's a matter of taste whether ST:TMP was great on not, but it wasn't a massive critical or box office success.

Whether or not the current movie in production will be great or good or bad is something we won't know until the movie comes out.

Gary Seven 03-09-2008 03:15 PM

No. I meant the anxiety as ST:TMP was being readied for release. We're seeing that now with XI.

VADBAXTER 03-09-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBElliott (Post 23159)
Well if it is like ST:TMP, that means we won't get a great movie. :D Sure it's a matter of taste whether ST:TMP was great on not, but it wasn't a massive critical or box office success.

Whether or not the current movie in production will be great or good or bad is something we won't know until the movie comes out.

TMP was great for its time and it did spawn 3 tv series and 10 movies with its success.