The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ships, Devices, etc. (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cut-Away USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Model (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9564)

I-Am-Zim 09-16-2009 11:32 AM

Cut-Away USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Model

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody! I would like to know if anyone here has ever put together a cut-away TOS Enterprise model. I recently got one from a friend of mine and put it together with the help of my son. Unfortunately, I left it in the car one day because my son wanted me to bring it to school to show his friends, and it melted. I mean seriously warped and melted. So I found another one on Ebay and bought it. I just got it yesterday and started prepping it for assembly. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any pictures of their models. Either fully assembled or in the process. I'll be taking pictures of mine as I move along and posting them here. Also, any tips and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here are some pictures of my old one (the one that melted). I plan to make the new one look even better, with more detail. I put that one together rather quickly. Only took me a few days.

Attachment 1653Attachment 1654Attachment 1655Attachment 1656

deg3D 09-22-2009 03:52 PM

Ah, way-cool, dude. I have this kit in the box (along with all the AMT kits sealed). I gave up my practical model building days for CG. I look forward to seeing your progress, eh. :)

And yep, never leave plastics in the car on a hot day. I lost some CDs like that long ago.

deg

celticarchie 09-26-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deg3D (Post 258012)
Ah, way-cool, dude. I have this kit in the box (along with all the AMT kits sealed). I gave up my practical model building days for CG. I look forward to seeing your progress, eh. :)

And yep, never leave plastics in the car on a hot day. I lost some CDs like that long ago.

deg

Kinda heading that way myself, without the seal model kits :sad:

I do miss practical model building though. The Polar Lights small 1/1000th scale series is a nice size. Trouble is, I just put mine in the attic. That was a dumb move. :001_tongue:

deg3D 09-26-2009 02:44 PM

If it's a storage only non-AC attic, good chance it'll melt up there in the summer. Attics get hot!

deg

celticarchie 09-26-2009 04:05 PM

We don't get summers quite that hot.:D Though sometime there is a heat wave.

It's only for short term. I intend to get them back down ASAP. I reallised I could put them in a different box and keep the out of the attic. After I had put them up there.:blushing:

Looking forward to the Polar Lights refit Enterprise and the Akira in 1/1000 scale too! :thumbup:

I-Am-Zim 09-27-2009 08:34 AM

Well, I'm still working on it. Unfortunately, I ran into a slight problem. I got all the decals on and all the detail paint work done on the outer hull. And I was going to paint it with pearlescent clearcoat. When I sprayed the clearcoat on it, the decals wrinkled and some of the paint, which was way dry, dissolved and ran. Now this was with Testors spray clearcoat made for plastic models. So it irritates me tremendously. But I'll figure out something. I'll have some more pictures up later today I hope. Thanks for the interest.

deg3D 09-27-2009 09:29 AM

Oooooo, ouch! Sorry to hear that, dude. Been 40 years since I learned that lesson well.

Buy some styrene sheets and generic decals and keep those on hand for paint/clear-coat tests. Always test on like-scraps before painting a model. Never ever paint a model untested.

deg

Roysten 09-27-2009 01:30 PM

I've got this model, made it when I was quite little though and ended up gluing everything together so you can't see the interiors, may one day try and prise it open and improve it with some more painting. Yours looks pretty awesome though Zim.

I-Am-Zim 10-13-2009 05:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, here are some progress pics on the new one.

Attachment 1747Attachment 1748Attachment 1749Attachment 1750

deg3D 10-16-2009 12:57 PM

Pretty cool, dude. :)

deg