The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9405)

wade8069 08-26-2009 01:06 AM

Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi?

Hey, I just watched all four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise DVD last year for the first time and I have to say I loved Enterprise. In my opinion I would put it at 2nd place with TOS being 1st out of all the Star Trek Enterpriseand I thought it was a shame it was cancelled. I was wondering if they considered or tried moving Enterprise to the SciFi channel to continue its 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons instead of canceling it? Isn't that what they did with Stargate SG-1? In it's 5th season it was moved to the SciFi channel instead of being cancelled(I assume that's why it was moved) so I'm wondering if they tried doing that with Star Trek Enterprise but failed?

Roysten 08-26-2009 06:58 AM

I just finished watching all of Ent too, definately an underrated show. There was a massive fan effort to raise money to keep it going. Obviously that failed, I've often wondered myself why it didn't make the move to Sci-Fi

Commodore 08-26-2009 11:45 AM

IMO, SCI-FI already had its dance card full with the two Stargate shows and Battlestar Galactica...

Smothwe3009 08-26-2009 09:13 PM

If I remember correctly, SciFi was interested, but the suits at Paramount weren't.

wade8069 08-27-2009 12:48 AM

Thanks you guys.

Glacial 09-02-2009 12:03 PM

Yeah, Les Moonves has always had an irrational hatred for Star Trek. Some people just do.

That's why everything Trek that wasn't auctioned off was then pulled out of storage and destroyed with bulldozers. All the sets were smashed to splinters.

celticarchie 09-02-2009 05:35 PM

Paramount is stupid.:sad: That's the reason why anything gets canceled. The boss guys at the top are stupid, in the case of Enterprise that is Paramount.

Commodore 09-03-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 252576)
Yeah, Les Moonves has always had an irrational hatred for Star Trek. Some people just do.

That's why everything Trek that wasn't auctioned off was then pulled out of storage and destroyed with bulldozers. All the sets were smashed to splinters.

I think that had more to do with annual budget issues than any kind of vendetta Moonves had towards Star Trek. At the time, Paramount was kind of strapped for cash and was looking for ways to save money. Someone realized that Paramount was paying a lot of money to keep all this Star Trek stuff in storage and there wasn't any new Trek shows or movies in production then (if one did come along, they would just have to build everything from scratch as was done for Star Trek XI).

Saquist 09-03-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade8069 (Post 251012)
Hey, I just watched all four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise DVD last year for the first time and I have to say I loved Enterprise. In my opinion I would put it at 2nd place with TOS being 1st out of all the Star Trek Enterpriseand I thought it was a shame it was cancelled. I was wondering if they considered or tried moving Enterprise to the SciFi channel to continue its 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons instead of canceling it? Isn't that what they did with Stargate SG-1? In it's 5th season it was moved to the SciFi channel instead of being cancelled(I assume that's why it was moved) so I'm wondering if they tried doing that with Star Trek Enterprise but failed?

Who knows maybe, but there wasn't much you could do for the series.

Livingston 10-22-2009 01:33 AM

I disagree. Once the fourth season was in full gear it had potential, problem was, it took four seasons to get to that point.

They could've easily moved into the Earth/Romulan War or the events that lead to the relations between the Federation and the Klingons during the 23rd century and all while doing so, showed how the Federation came to be. But waiting four seasons to do so is what killed the show because IMO that is the purpose of Enterprise, to show how Star Trek came to be. If they were going to just have a new crew take over the franchise why not move further into the future, out of TNG era and move forward? It's what Trek has always done, save the new movie. And even it fulfilled the purpose of a prequel, showed how things came to be, even if it was in an alternate universe.