The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dollhouse DvD Review (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9171)

chator 08-05-2009 05:54 PM

Dollhouse DvD Review

Contains every episode aired on Fox-twelve. And two unaired episodes-the unaired original pilot, and the unaired season finale. I now know why. The original pilot wasn't anywhere nearly as good as the aired pilot. It gives away too much too soon, and includes the shooting of a main character before the audience has had a chance to get to know and like the character. The unaired season finale is also something the first season could have done without. It is a bleak look at an apocalyptic future that reveals details about what happened to the fates of the dolls, the dollhouse. It was written and produced in anticipation that the series would not be renewed, to offer closure for the fans. But the show was renewed for a second season, at least partly. There are special features included like a documentary titled, Making Dollhouse, and featurettes that i have yet to see. The packaging is nothing special and no booklet of episode summaries is involved. Some of the episodes have commentaries, and there are episode, but not scene menus. I give it 3 to four stars.

DammitJim 08-05-2009 05:58 PM

was the unaired pilot reworked or was it just an unused episode?

martok2112 08-05-2009 06:02 PM

I tuned in for this show because of Eliza Dushku (like Megan Fox, this chick is walking sex), and because I liked Joss Whedon's writing.

Sadly, the trademark Whedonesque humor was missing from this show, and it kinda turned me off. However, I will get the DVD set. It oughtta be fairly cheap.

DammitJim 08-05-2009 06:56 PM

it does need time to grow, but it is fun watching the Dolls be different each week.

the cast is top notch.

chator 08-05-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DammitJim (Post 243520)
was the unaired pilot reworked or was it just an unused episode?

The unaired pilot material was later worked into other episodes, not all of it, but some of it. But when you compare it to the aired pilot, you realize it really doesn't work and could have doomed the show to an early demise. It gives away too much too soon, and prematurely mortally wounds one of the main characters before the audience has had a chance to get to know or like the character.

Samuel 08-05-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 243526)
I tuned in for this show because of Eliza Dushku (like Megan Fox, this chick is walking sex), and because I liked Joss Whedon's writing.

She makes a great dominatrix. Next season they need to make her one for the entire show. :001_tongue:

martok2112 08-06-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuel (Post 243635)
She makes a great dominatrix. Next season they need to make her one for the entire show. :001_tongue:

LOL!

My fantasy show would star Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Dollhouse, Tru Calling) and Summer Glau (Firefly/Serenity, Terminator: TSCC). :)

Saquist 08-06-2009 06:35 AM

I really Liked this show and hopes it comes back.

kevin 08-06-2009 09:19 AM

I haven't seen any of it but I've not had much cause for complaint with Whedon's past work.

I will buy it in due course, though I might wait and see how quickly it hits sale offers.

chator 08-06-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saquist (Post 243776)
I really Liked this show and hopes it comes back.

It was renewed for a second season, but not a full second season. Summer Glau (Terminator: TSCC) and Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Galactica) are rumored to be guest starring.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/sci-f...-on-dollhouse/