The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Comments & Suggestions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what i wish to see in star trek xii (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9124)

lt.reed 08-04-2009 06:18 AM

what i wish to see in star trek xii

hi,

i don´t want to see one more great enemy. that begins to be boring. nero was good in a second story line, but in the next movie i would like to be scared because of the naked, cold space...! that is what i miss since years. new worlds, new civilisatons, to be fascinated by strange things. maybe a little fantasy, a little horror, a little twilight zone ;)

matthias

NCC-73515 08-04-2009 07:13 AM

Exactly. Almost every movie has a humanoid villain.

Zardoz 08-04-2009 10:39 AM

Hmm what about the M5 making a comeback?

NCC-73515 08-04-2009 11:03 AM

I vote for a story like Devil in the Dark! The heroes are sent to confront an opponent and it turns out the villain is no villain and sees them as the bad guys. In the end no one dies and they all live in peace and cooperation.

kukalakana 08-07-2009 07:42 PM

I want to see a movie without strobe effects.

~Unlikely, but one can hope, yes?~

kevin 08-08-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt.reed (Post 242158)
hi,

i don´t want to see one more great enemy. that begins to be boring. nero was good in a second story line, but in the next movie i would like to be scared because of the naked, cold space...! that is what i miss since years. new worlds, new civilisatons, to be fascinated by strange things. maybe a little fantasy, a little horror, a little twilight zone ;)

matthias

Sounds like the basis for something intriguing.

I'd like them to bring back a sense that Space is vast and desolate. That there are huge distances between star systems and that you don't bump into the same people every second week.

TOS had that feel and later years Trek seemed to lose sight of that and stay in the same backyard all the time.

Scribbler 08-08-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt.reed (Post 242158)
hi,

matthias

I understand what you're saying. The trouble is when you actually pick through your suggestions, it doesn't really illuminate very much what you would actually include. New worlds, new civilisations, strange things. Sounds cool but what would actually happen? Story can't exist without some kind of conflict, where would this come from? I'm not saying that Star Trek films have to always be about fighting but there has to be some kind of high stakes danger, surely? The Next Generation had a big asteroid threatening a planet of English speaking aliens with five nostrils wearing bacofoil suits but for me that felt rather tame and uninteresting. Not trying to be negative, I think you perfectly summed up a feeling that TOS engendered in me when I was a kid. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not in the hot seat for writing the next one! :D

Scribbler 08-08-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 242286)
I vote for a story like Devil in the Dark! The heroes are sent to confront an opponent and it turns out the villain is no villain and sees them as the bad guys. In the end no one dies and they all live in peace and cooperation.

A number of people died along the way though..Maybe a bigger version of something like this could work.

Big D 08-09-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-73515 (Post 242286)

:D Yes indeed.

kevin 08-09-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribbler (Post 245160)
I understand what you're saying. The trouble is when you actually pick through your suggestions, it doesn't really illuminate very much what you would actually include. New worlds, new civilisations, strange things. Sounds cool but what would actually happen? Story can't exist without some kind of conflict, where would this come from? I'm not saying that Star Trek films have to always be about fighting but there has to be some kind of high stakes danger, surely? The Next Generation had a big asteroid threatening a planet of English speaking aliens with five nostrils wearing bacofoil suits but for me that felt rather tame and uninteresting. Not trying to be negative, I think you perfectly summed up a feeling that TOS engendered in me when I was a kid. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not in the hot seat for writing the next one! :D

The problem I find with that is that if you keep raising the stakes eventually you raise them to the point where things just get ridiculous. You can only increase the scale of what's at threat so far before you get into the 'Galaxy destroying' realm of plot lines. Which have been done a few times already. There's only so many times you can do that before the audience loses goes 'here we go again....'

But it is possible to make the danger something else and wrap it up in Star Trek ways.

For example, the TNG episode 'The Masterpiece Society' we had a plot where a comet was threatening an unknown human society where a very careful way of life had been constructed. Except the twist in the tale was that while the Colony was saved, it still got destroyed because of the bigger universe the Enterprise showed the colonists was out there.

As Picard noted - the Enterprise's arrival ended up being more destructive to that society than the comet would have been if they had all just been killed.

Perhaps something like that could be explored in a film.