The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   heh, Spoke (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8754)

shpock 07-15-2009 06:37 AM

heh, Spoke
 
what a handsome devil!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Trek-note.html

:D

DevilEyes 07-15-2009 06:58 AM

Roddenberry was smarter than many people thought, then. :D

Most articles (like the Wiki one about Star Trek) state that Spock's sex symbol status came as a surprise to people associated with Trek.

I am not really surprised, though, since there have been other mentions of Roddenberry's references to Spock's "hypnotic" effect on human females, from original character notes. This was also referenced in Uhura's song in Charlie X.

Zardoz 07-15-2009 07:11 AM

He (Spock) was a suprise to all, including Nimoy. In fact, during season 2, fearing Spock would outshine Kirk (Who was the designated lead star) they started feilding other actors to replace Nimoy as Spock, amunst them David Carridine and Mark Leonard (Who ended up playing Spock's father!)"

Kiko Kea 07-15-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardoz (Post 231471)
He (Spock) was a suprise to all, including Nimoy. In fact, during season 2, fearing Spock would outshine Kirk (Who was the designated lead star) they started feilding other actors to replace Nimoy as Spock, amunst them David Carridine and Mark Leonard (Who ended up playing Spock's father!)"

That's not too smart, as I see it- trying to reduce a character's popularity. They would have probably lost viewers (me!) with such a move.

Funny how secondary characters often become more popular than the star. Illya K/D McCallum comes to mind.

Zardoz 07-15-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiko Kea (Post 231537)
That's not too smart, as I see it- trying to reduce a character's popularity. They would have probably lost viewers (me!) with such a move.

Funny how secondary characters often become more popular than the star. Illya K/D McCallum comes to mind.

That was the thinking in 60's TV, there could only be ONE star. But Illya, another great example of this!:thumbup:

T'Pau 07-15-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardoz (Post 231471)
He (Spock) was a suprise to all, including Nimoy. In fact, during season 2, fearing Spock would outshine Kirk (Who was the designated lead star) they started feilding other actors to replace Nimoy as Spock, amunst them David Carridine and Mark Leonard (Who ended up playing Spock's father!)"

Actually I think they were putting together lists of other actors because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a season-2 deal with Nimoy, who wanted to renegotiate his contract early due to the huge popularity of Spock in season one. (See "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" by Herb Solow & Robert Justman, really fantastic insider account of the making of TOS.)

Zardoz 07-16-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T'Pau (Post 231807)
Actually I think they were putting together lists of other actors because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a season-2 deal with Nimoy, who wanted to renegotiate his contract early due to the huge popularity of Spock in season one. (See "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" by Herb Solow & Robert Justman, really fantastic insider account of the making of TOS.)

Hmmm....I should read that. Got my info from a GR autobigraphy, so it could be faulty.

erruve 07-28-2009 11:37 AM

ST was very smart to use Spock as they did once he became popular. Amok Time opened the second season. The character became one of TV's most recognizable icons. Kudos to GR for not messing that up.
~


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.