The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Star Trek Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Barclay (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8624)

Star Trek Viewer 07-04-2009 02:43 PM

Barclay

I just read the write-up on Reginald Barclay on Memory Beta and discovered that he had served on the Enterprise-E during the events of Star Trek: First Contact. That's interesting; I don't remember seeing him in that movie.

Odradek 07-04-2009 02:45 PM

He was the guy, who wished for a handshake with Zefram Cochrane

Star Trek Viewer 07-04-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odradek (Post 228273)
He was the guy, who wished for a handshake with Zefram Cochrane

Oh, now I remember.

TNG had such a large complement of characters.

Odradek 07-04-2009 02:55 PM

Barclay was great, but TOS had some cool recurring characters, too.
I wish we could have seen more of Kevin Riley.

Lady Vaako 07-05-2009 05:10 PM

Barclay was high on my list of most annoying and least favourite characters on Trek. Right next to Q, in fact...

Elizadolots 07-05-2009 08:36 PM

Oh, I sort of like Barclay...I think he's such an object of scorn among the crew that he sort of has to be embraced. When Picard called him Broccoli....that was just great.

MrQ1701 07-06-2009 07:56 AM

I really liked Barclay. He was a great engineer but he he lacked self confidence. I like the fact that not every person in Starfleet is portrayed as the perfect person. Barclay was great. I enjoyed each episode with him. I liked that he seemed to come into his own in Voyager.

horatio 07-06-2009 03:49 PM

I second that 100%. So much about the wide-spread myth that there is no conflict in TNG, that the people are too perfect and that it's a boring utopia.

Samuel 07-06-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 229029)
I second that 100%. So much about the wide-spread myth that there is no conflict in TNG, that the people are too perfect and that it's a boring utopia.

It's no myth. Its a matter of degrees and whether or not 'no conflict' is an absolute. Also depends on the type of conflict. Personal level or large scale? It's all perception and if a large percentage of people do not see much conflict then there is probably something to it.

horatio 07-06-2009 07:43 PM

I don't know, herd behaviour also, among other things, causes financial crisises. But perhaps it would be more precise to say that TNG most often showed how to peacefully and politely solve problems if possible to prevent severe conflicts.
Just because the decision process of the crew features a conference lounge meeting and no "not inhuman, green blooded, son of ..." like talk, people still have different opinions.