The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moochers -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8460)

Star Trek Viewer 06-21-2009 08:21 AM

Moochers -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

You ever have friends that always hit you up for money when you go out? A friend of mine and I have to have lunch together during business. So this friend never has any money and expects me to pay the bill.

What a moocher! :mad:

I fully never expect to be paid back.

Howlin' Wolf 06-21-2009 08:48 AM

I was in kinda the same situation. On the days I had to eat with him my remedy was to eat a bigass breakfast then suffer through lunch by ordering what amounted to a glass of water and a crouton. A little of that and he found someone else to mooch off of. Think of the money lost as money well spent because that's what you payed to find out what kind of friend you really have.

kevin 06-21-2009 09:07 AM

I'd take them to an ATM as soon as lunch was over to lift whatever they owe you from the bank.

Star Trek Viewer 06-21-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 223900)
I'd take them to an ATM as soon as lunch was over to lift whatever they owe you from the bank.

Believe it or not, I would, but somehow:

1. They have no cash.
2. Their credit cards are "maxed out."
3. They're overdrawn at the bank.
4. "I'll pay you back next payday! I promise!"

:banghead:

I'm pretty much never going to spot this person another dollar. I don't care if they have to see me dine on a kingly feast while they nibble away at the table cloth. It won't be my fault!

jerhanner 06-21-2009 11:55 AM

I'd ask them flat out BEFORE lunch if they had $, and if they didn't, ask them why they're going to lunch?

MrQ1701 06-21-2009 12:06 PM

Knowing someone is broke and offering to pay for their lunch is quite different from expecting to split the bill and finding out you have to pay for it all. If this happened more than once, then you only have yourself to blame the next time. He/she is taking advantage of you and you are allowing it. If it happened again, after you were told he/she had money, then I would ask the waitress to split the bill and I would leave my "friend" at the restaurant to figure out how to pay!!

MrQ1701 06-21-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer (Post 223887)

I fully never expect to be paid back.

DEMAND to be paid back!!

MrQ1701 06-21-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer (Post 223907)
4. "I'll pay you back next payday! I promise!"

Remind this person EVERY pay day until he/she pays!

Howlin' Wolf 06-21-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQ1701 (Post 223978)
If it happened again, after you were told he/she had money, then I would ask the waitress to split the bill and I would leave my "friend" at the restaurant to figure out how to pay!!

I was assuming you had to get along with this person and was trying to be non-confrontational but if not this is the best approach. A bunch of us were in a Calico Jacks one night and one guy I didn't know turned out to be a notorious moocher. When it came time to pay he was told he better have some money or he'd be left there to "swab the deck". He came up with some money.

MrQ1701 06-21-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf (Post 224013)
I was assuming you had to get along with this person and was trying to be non-confrontational but if not this is the best approach. A bunch of us were in a Calico Jacks one night and one guy I didn't know turned out to be a notorious moocher. When it came time to pay he was told he better have some money or he'd be left there to "swab the deck". He came up with some money.

I was talking about a "friend" that you have had these problems with in the past, then you ask BEFORE going to lunch (sounds like a coworker actually) whether he/she has money to pay, since he/she is KNOWN to be a moocher. He/she says "Yes, I have money". Then you go out and when the check is placed on the table he/she says "darn, I left my wallet at home" (or some other lame excuse). At that point, if it were me, getting along would no longer matter. Now I have been lied to and another attempt at mooching has occurred. If leaving the person to figure out how to pay damages the relationship, so what? The relationship is better off ended unless you LIKE people mooching and lying to you.

I think you agree with me, but I just wanted to clarify that I would no longer be concerned about the "friendship"