The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   middle age crisis approaches (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8036)

jtrek79 05-31-2009 01:12 AM

middle age crisis approaches

well i am almost 30 (july 17) right now , when i look back, my childhood , my teenage years , my completion as a man , all i can say is , heck my life had been terrific , when i look forward i keep saying , everything is gonna be alright

anyone else who approaches 30?

That Metal Beastie 05-31-2009 03:32 AM

OMG! 30 is now considered middle-aged?:svengo:

Big D 05-31-2009 04:17 AM

30 is not old :p I'm 25, I guess it could be said that the last couple of years have represented a quarter-life crisis... But I weather it the way I weather most things: by remembering that millions of other people have been through exactly the same and coped with it just fine, which means I can too:)

Gary Seven 05-31-2009 04:47 AM

jtrek79, you're got a full 20 years before you're "middle age." 40 years of age used to be that mark. Today, 50 is the new 40.

jtrek79 05-31-2009 04:57 AM

oh...got it...i ve confused it sorry....i meant the thing that happens to u when u reach 30....the end of youth and the slow march towards middle age..

martok2112 05-31-2009 05:00 AM

Yeah, hey.....one foot in the grave at a time....okay?!!!!!! :D

That Metal Beastie 05-31-2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 211436)
30 is not old :p I'm 25, I guess it could be said that the last couple of years have represented a quarter-life crisis... But I weather it the way I weather most things: by remembering that millions of other people have been through exactly the same and coped with it just fine, which means I can too:)

Wise words kiddo;) The youth-oriented mindset that we're still suffering from blossomed in the 60's (or at least the modern version of it). The inevitable irony of it is that the kids that touted, flaunted and believed in the superiority of youth are all now senior citizens. They who chanted the counter-culture mantrum "Don't trust anyone over 30!" in the sixties are now in their sixties...or dead. Ironic and chuckle-worthy.

There was a time when age was equated with wisdom and the aged and wisened venerated. I imagine there're still places where this is still the case. And no doubt you can find (pockets of) people and certainly indiviual for whom this is true still. But the joke on anyone who mistakenly believes it is better to be younger than older is she or he is setting themselves up for future dissatisfaction with themself, unless they wise up along the way.

I've never understood ageism just like I've never understood racism. I don't see that there's anything wrong with being any race or any age. Around the age of 25 I started noticing that I had as many friends who older than me as who were younger. That's still the case. One result of (and perhaps reason for) that is folks have all my adult life had difficulty guessing my age; when in my early twenties they thought I was older and these days people tend to think I'm ten to fifteen years younger than I actually am. These days I use the Woody Allen joke- "I seem younger because of my youthful good looks and my boyish charm!";) Believe me, its a joke!

Someone said "Youth is wasted on the young." And when my younger friends and co-workers rib me about my age (52) I say "I'm exactly the right age for someone who was born when I was." Some some scratch or shake their heads wondering about 'crazy ole Nate', and some others get it....sooner or later.

It's all good. Look, don't worry about getting older jtrek. It's better than the alternative.

Gary Seven 05-31-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrek79 (Post 211446)
oh...got it...i ve confused it sorry....i meant the thing that happens to u when u reach 30....the end of youth and the slow march towards middle age..

Being young and youthful is a mindset. There are things we leave behind as we age (mature) and things we pick up along the way.

To paraphrase a wise starship captain:

"Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment."

A friend of mine once said: "If you're not doing it now; you're not going to do it tomorrow." It means to enjoy life today. Do the things you've always wanted to do now. Don't be concerned about getting older. It's going to happen anyway.

kevin 05-31-2009 07:41 AM

I'm 32 in a week - don't use the phrase middle age crisis near me!! I ain't middle aged!!!

jtrek79 05-31-2009 07:47 AM

no kevin we re not;)