The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why don't they tell the turboshaft.... (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7986)

lonstar70 05-29-2009 04:34 PM

Why don't they tell the turboshaft....

....where to go? I always loved that touch. Kirk runs into the lift, turns the knob, and says, "Bridge!" That was totally absent in the new movie.

AyanEva 05-29-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonstar70 (Post 210382)
....where to go? I always loved that touch. Kirk runs into the lift, turns the knob, and says, "Bridge!" That was totally absent in the new movie.

Looked like there was keypad in this one. Maybe some sort of drop-down menu that you navigate with up/down/right/left keys? Then of course there's the one button that's a "stop lift" button.

I agree though. I like the idea of simply calling out where you want to go. I'm glad they got rid of the handle thing but I do miss the verbal command element.

JSnyder4 05-29-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonstar70 (Post 210382)

Best guess?
The turbolift seems keyed to vital areas of the ship for exceptionally rapid response to those areas. So a simple button push of the designated key area is all that is needed.
Spock pushed a button and went from the shuttlebay to the bridge in almost nothing flat; literally. Don't recall how many buttons were on the panel, but I can't imagine more than half a dozen or so.

Interestingly, Chekov has to run from the bridge to a (the?) transporter control room so it appears to be that ship service is not a vital function needing a superduper fast turbolift access point.

Akula2ssn 05-29-2009 05:52 PM

Problem is if the lift was strictly voice activated, Chekov would have a hard time getting around because the computer would have a hard time understanding him.

dhess68 05-29-2009 06:26 PM

I thought this was about the Kelvins captain going the wrong way on the turbolift, after all the lift came down to the shuttle bay....even though it is located above the saucer section?

FarShot 05-29-2009 06:40 PM

Maybe the lift goes above engineering, then comes down into the shuttlebay.

dhess68 05-29-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarShot (Post 210451)
Maybe the lift goes above engineering, then comes down into the shuttlebay.

Engineering is in the lower pod, the shuttle bay is in the upper pod...it makes no sense but I still love that ship.

FarShot 05-29-2009 09:13 PM

Umm, the lower pod is a warp nacelle. I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

Big D 05-29-2009 09:28 PM

Indeed, the Kelvin's turbolift is a bit of a visual gaffe - but can be explained away if you assume that the lift goes up to the top deck of engineering, then runs along the length of the engineering hull before heading back down a few decks to the to the shuttlebay.

Capt Dunsel 05-29-2009 09:53 PM

I saw the movie for the sixth time tonight - and saw something weird in the turbolift. I think when Spock first goes to the Enterprise bridge and exits the turbolift, there is a stenciled sign in the lift saying "Airlock". How convenient !!! Double duty as an elevator and an airlock!

"Wesley Crusher please report to the aft airlock on the double please..."