The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica headed for the big screen? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7744)

omegaman 05-20-2009 01:24 PM

Battlestar Galactica headed for the big screen?

Following the outstanding success of the new Star Trek movie do you think that we may see an as yet untold Battlestar Galactica story headed for the big screen in the near future?

That Metal Beastie 05-20-2009 01:50 PM

Hmm. You know that could happen. But I hope not. As I just commented about Trek on another thread, tv may be the best medium for these tales if we want character driven drama, as someone properly termed it. But who knows.

chator 05-20-2009 02:00 PM

There was a direct-to-DVD movie of Battlestar titled Razor that was released over a year and a half ago. It was really just a two-hour episode that was set during the show's second season after the episode "Captain's Hand".

And Moore/Eicke have just released the pilot of their prequel to Battlestar titled Caprica, to DvD. It is a two-hour movie, but won't air til 2010, by which time more episodes of the series will have been made to allow the beginning of the airing of first season episodes following the pilot's debut.

omegaman 05-20-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chator (Post 203666)
There was a direct-to-DVD movie of Battlestar titled Razor that was released over a year and a half ago. It was really just a two-hour episode that was set during the show's second season after the episode "Captain's Hand".

And Moore/Eicke have just released the pilot of their prequel to Battlestar titled Caprica, to DvD. It is a two-hour movie, but won't air til 2010, by which time more episodes of the series will have been made to allow the beginning of the airing of first season episodes following the pilot's debut.

Razor was good.

martok2112 05-20-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 203615)
Following the outstanding success of the new Star Trek movie do you think that we may see an as yet untold Battlestar Galactica story headed for the big screen in the near future?

There've been vapid talks by Glen A. Larson of returning Galactica to the big screen....and the movie would be more in tone with the original '78 show, not the new BSG.

omegaman 05-20-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 203871)
There've been vapid talks by Glen A. Larson of returning Galactica to the big screen....and the movie would be more in tone with the original '78 show, not the new BSG.

That's interesting.

Samuel 05-20-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 203871)

\

Yup that one has been around. And its really not any different than others shopping around their own movie ideas. In this case its a bigger name and a bigger agent spreading the word to hopefully create interest among the execs. I highly doubt it will ever happen.

martok2112 05-20-2009 07:22 PM

A lot of TOS Galactica fans that I know are still clambering for a "continuation" movie that picks up after the original series (no G:80) ended.

I think BSG needs a new reboot, (in the spirit of the original) and then get onto the story of finding Earth.

Granted, Superman Returns was a good idea of how to do a continuation story without ANY of the original cast (except for post-mortem cameos by Marlon Brando)....but I doubt that any fans of the new Galactica are going to take an interest in this....and I doubt that many old schoolers are going to take an interest in a continuation story done by different actors.