The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   If you guys could "re-boot" a series... (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7632)

FanWriter45 05-18-2009 08:26 AM

If you guys could "re-boot" a series...

Which would you choose?

Persoanlly, the TV series that I always thought had a great deal of potential, but which was utterly "blown" by the clods who produced it, was/is, "The Starlost." This time around, I'd stick closer to Ellison and Bova's original ideas, and crank up the action... If you've ever read the novel "Pheonix Without Ashes" by Ellison and Ed Bryant, I think you'd know what I'm talking about.

Plus, with the new tech for doing VFX, it would be far easier to portray a 1,000 mile long generation starship, and the enviroment of the "biospheres."

What series would you like to re-do?

kevin 05-18-2009 09:29 AM

I've not heard of that series - but it sounds very intriguing.

Me - well, it has to be 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' - keep the light tone and just add new effects al a BSG. I thought that show was such fun back in the day.

I'd have -

Ben Mackenzie as Buck Rogers

Melissa George as Wilma Deering

Denise Richards (back as a brunette) or Lucy Liu as Princess Ardala

It wouldn't be dark and socially relevant, but would be fun and bright as hell!

MonsieurHood 05-18-2009 12:48 PM

I don't know about a re-boot, but as far as sci-fi that has been neglected on the big screen, Kieth Laumer's "Bolo" screams "Please make a movie out of me!" As does Larry Niven's "The Patchwork Girl".

Commodore 05-18-2009 01:09 PM

Believe it or not, the series I'd reboot would be Battlestar Galactica--but it would be 20 years from now (enough time for the more recent series to be digested, so to speak).

The spin of the revamp would be "What if the 12 Colonies were never destroyed and we see the Colonial Fleet in all its glory?" The Galactica would be the newest, state-of-the-art battlestar. The series would be undeniably lighter in tone than the recent series and would even (gasp) have some humor here and there. But it would also be more action-adventure oriented as the Galactica's primary mission would be to keep the peace at the farthest edges of Colonial space.

The classic Cylons would be back (no skinjobs this time around) and still bent on wiping out the Human race, but they would not be the only enemies Galactica and the 12 colonies would face. We would see the return of aliens (both humanoid and non-humanoid) in this new BSG Universe. But their biggest adversary would be their fellow Humans from the long-lost 13th colony...and they have their own battlestars.

The series tagline would be "The biggest enemy is ourselves."
:boxing_smiley:

radoskal 05-18-2009 02:13 PM

Personally I don't like reboots unless they are done exceptionally well (see BSG) I don't think they encourage original thinking, but if I would do one it would be SeaQuest that show is definitively in my all time top 3 Favourites (if you count Trek as one big thing) and i think it was managed poorly and could have been done better.

Jed Starkiller 05-18-2009 02:15 PM

FIREFLY! But KEEP EVERYTHING the same except the for the Network its on maybe then it would have lasted. :)

Saquist 05-18-2009 05:16 PM

Air Wolf.

cjopbj 05-18-2009 05:20 PM

I'd like to see some of the westerns updated. The High Chaparral or Daniel Boone would be interesting if someone could present a more accurate historal take on those places and times. Both dealt with race relations.

Saquist 05-18-2009 05:35 PM

A western in our time...
You mean like that one with Val Kilmer in the 90's

MigueldaRican 05-18-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saquist (Post 201645)
Air Wolf.

Took the words out of my mouth.