The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7585)

starwarsrcks 05-17-2009 04:30 AM

What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk

What do you think of Chris Pine's Kirk and why

StarTrekXIfan 05-17-2009 04:39 AM

I liked him, I thought he was very believable. He certainly had the charm and charisma of Shatner, but in his own way. I liked the fact that he made the character his own. I look forward to seeing him in the sequel and whether his character changes slightly with more experience, as you definitely get the impression in this film that he is beginning to mature and accept the weight of the responsibility that comes with being Captain. :)

Digginonrand 05-17-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan (Post 200197)
I liked him, I thought he was very believable. He certainly had the charm and charisma of Shatner, but in his own way. I liked the fact that he made the character his own. I look forward to seeing him in the sequel and whether his character changes slightly with more experience, as you definitely get the impression in this film that he is beginning to mature and accept the weight of the responsibility that comes with being Captain. :)

Pretty much my feeling as well. He was good at the comic scenes as well. This movie had much more slap stick humor than many of the previous Trek movies, except for V.

Enterprise NCC-1701-A 05-17-2009 05:15 AM

i liked chris pine played as kirk. he played kirk pretty close to shatner i thought and that energy, drive that we expect in kirk to be a leader and captain. i'm really looking forward seeing pine play kirk again and calling pine for now on James T. Kirk cause that's who he is now.

vanvideo 05-17-2009 05:25 AM

I liked Chris Pine's interpretation of Kirk. Swash-buckling, confident, a womanizer. Take that, Picard!
When I first saw the movie poster with Chris' face-down, eyes-forward leer, I thought, man, this oughta be good. Happily, I was right.

starwarsrcks 05-17-2009 05:25 AM

Yes he needs to act more like captain do you think so

hixonium 05-17-2009 05:45 AM

Pine is Kirk. I'm glad we got to see what made Kirk who he is before he went to Starfleet. It helped me understand why Kirk is who he is, and now I like him all the better.

Commodore 05-17-2009 06:01 AM

Pine is Kirk.

But Shatner is Kirk too.

I think we've now reaching the point where we can regard Kirk in the same light as James Bond with people might be able to identify more with the character than the actor who plays him.

That being said, I think Pine did a great job in capturing the essence of Kirk. Pine's Kirk grew up differently than Shatner's Kirk--which was an ambitious overachiever from the start, IMO--and became a "bad boy" much earlier in life than he did originally.

AyanEva 05-17-2009 07:14 AM

I agree with what everyone else here said. I do hope he keeps a significant amount of that wild attitude, but has it tempered both by maturity and by Spock. I think that would be an excellent way to move into developing the relationship between Spock and Kirk as we see Spock sort of reigning Kirk in a bit more.

Pine did a fantastic job managing to be like Shatner's Kirk but also his own Kirk at the same time. It was a hard job to pull off and he did it.

irishbuddy 05-17-2009 08:35 AM

Chris Pine is perfectly cast as a young, arrogant Kirk. Pine has embodied Kirk's rebellious, loyal and sexy character perfectly. Long may he reign. :D