The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7145)

Armalarm 05-09-2009 06:34 AM

I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!

People love to complain!
But I will have to say that i love what they did. It brings something new and fresh into star trek. Yes it's all hollywood, but this is precisely one of the elements they needed to reboot the series. I have a feeling star trek went down the tube before because there wasn't enough or no character/audience connections. (DONT SAY IT! Riker/Troi romance did not count! I didnt feel SHIRT! (my way of saying **** politley)

Lets get one thing straight, Spock is not without emotion. he has them but controls them. He did show it quite a few times in TOS. Watch Nimoy's Star Trek Memories on youtube..youll see what I mean.

I think what they did was logical, and I love this movie because there are new elements to star trek, one being the fact that I can connect with the characters!

Dominus of Megadeus 05-09-2009 07:07 AM

Some people say this film doesn't get the spirit of Trek. I say poppycock and last nights viewing supports it.

To the left of me sat a man given to excess in wine. To my right, a man who I heard say, "Oh, no. Another one of them," in reference to my Carrabean-American decendancy. When it was revealed that Spock and Uhuru (spelling) had a romance, a majority of the audicence clapped. The fellow to my left and right did not.

Trek hopes that by the 23rd century these viewpoints will be a thing of the past. That a Vulcan and an Earthling being in love matters not, and that everyone has a voice and something valuable to contribute to a cause.

J.J. Abrams and crew "gets it." Good job!

Armalarm 05-09-2009 07:11 AM

well put my friend

TNG_Trekman 05-09-2009 09:00 AM

Armalarm

Just say SHAT instead of ****. hahaha

And the romance worked. It added something new to the series which in my mind, thought TOS alluded to that between Spock and Uhura. For the writers to come out and say "yeah, there is a romance" took guts and I thank them for the end result.

Alpha 05-09-2009 09:07 AM

I thought it worked. It wasn't done over the top or in a "LOOK AT ME" fashion.

Elizadolots 05-09-2009 09:21 AM

I did think the farewell smooch in the transporter pad seemed a bit "public" for Spock, but he might well have been saying goodbye forever, so I guess it's okay.... I think there's evidence in the show that Spock and Uhura had more than a professional relationship and I applaud the writers for recognizing that and taking off with it.

Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan 05-09-2009 09:35 AM

Uhura should have been kirk's woman lol

ImperaME 05-09-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan (Post 189893)
Uhura should have been kirk's woman lol

Its nice to see Spock get some love and action. I love that the writers saw and created a romance that was not possible in 1966 TV.

Thascales 05-09-2009 11:15 AM

It was amazingly tender for a summer action blockbuster. I believed it.

Lady Vaako 05-09-2009 11:24 AM

I liked it. I think it was really well done and believable. Besides, I've always loved seeing Spock surrendering to his emotions, especially when they are of the romantic kind. :001_smile: