What's everyones top Sci-fi movies?
My top 100:
1. Star Wars.
2. Blade Runner.
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey.
4. Star Trek II: The Wraith of Khan.
5. The Empire Strikes Back.
6. Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
7. The Fifth Element.
8. Metropolis (1927).
9. The Thing (1982).
11. The Terminator.
13. Ghost in The Shell.
15. Star Trek (2008).
16. V For Vendetta.
17. Planet of the Apes (1968).
18. Back to the Future.
19. Transformers (2007).
20. Heavy Metal.
22. Total Recall.
24. Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.
25. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
27. The Matrix.
28. Return of the Jedi.
29. Iron Man.
30. Close Encounters of The Third Kind.
31. Star Trek VII The Undiscovered Country.
33. The Island.
34. They Live.
35. Escape from New York.
36. The Road Warrior.
38. Minority Report.
40. From Beyond.
41. Night of the Creeps.
42. Galaxy Quest.
43. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
44. Independence Day.
46. War of the Worlds (1953).
47. Dark City.
48. The Running Man.
49. The Incredible Hulk (2008).
50. Metropolis (2001).
53. The Deadly Spawn.
54. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.
55. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951).
56. Transformers The Movie (1986).
57. Rock and Rule.
58. Starchaser: Legend of Orin.
59. The Fly (1986).
62. The Blob (1988).
63. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978).
64. Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace.
65. 12 Monkeys.
66. Back to the Future III.
67. Star Trek Generations.
68. Back to the Future II.
69. Flash Gordon.
70. Logan's Run.
76. Star Trek: First Contact.
77. Galaxy Quest.
78. Forbidden Planet.
79. Pitch Black.
80. Fist of the North Star (1986 anime).
83. Critters 2: The Main Course.
84. Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
85. Bad Taste.
86. A Clockwork Orange.
88. War of the Worlds (2005).
89. Nausicca: Valley of the Winds.
90 .The Abyss.
91. The Time Machine (1960).
92. Battle Royale.
93. Night of the Comet.
94. Cowboy Bebop The Movie.
95. Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence.
96. Starship Troopers.
97. 28 Days Later.
98. 28 Weeks Later.
99. The Omega Man.
100. The X-Files: Fight the Future.
Do you want a top 100 from all of us?
Starship Troopers #98 - how come!! :confused1:
To me, REAL science fiction movies are rarer than hens teeth. Most end up being in the realm of "science fantasy" more than science fiction. But, I'll give it a shot... (in more or less chronological order)
1. Der Frau in Du Mond: (1929) Fritz Lang. When you realize just how long ago this movie was shot, even before the Great Depression, you have to marvel at just how accurate it was in it's depiction of space travel. Unfortunatley, Mr. Lang blows it in the final reels, by suggesting there is air on the moon.
2. Things to Come (1936)
3. Destination Moon: George Pal. Again, an attempt at creating a scientifically accurate deprction of space travel.
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) For it's time, it was real science fiction. Given the one fantastic element, the arrival of an advanced alien on Erath, pretty much everything is plausible.
5. Forbidden Planet. (1956) This one is a boarderline case. It really depends on the invention of the "hyperdrive"
6. 2001: A Space Odessy.
7. The Andromeda Strain.
9. THX 1138
10. Solaris (2004) Again, a boarderline film, but it's a personal favorite.
Well, I tend to think of any movie that takes place far enough in the future, or with any tech that is not available yet, as Science fiction. this is based on when the movie was made, of course... some of the tech implied in very early movies is here already, some isn't; and of course, early movies that set dates for their happenings would have already happened by now... but with these definitions in mind, and In order of which I would see before another...
any Star Trek - at all
Children of Dune
2001 A Space Odyssey
2010 (see above)
Star Wars; the whole set
The Last Star Fighter
I imagine my 'sci-fi' has a broader definition than some but -
Forbidden Planet, Gattaca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Starship Troopers, Total Recall, A:I Artificial Intelligence (lame third act aside), Star Trek, The Abyss, Terminator 1 and 2, The Last Starfighter, Solaris.
Broader than categorizing Star Wars, Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Spaceballs into sci-fi is virtually impossible. :D
The difference? In general... but by no means required... Science Fiction spends more time on 'how' and science fantasy spends more time on 'why'. The best movies blend the two.
No, not quite. (At least to my mind) To me, the definition of a science fiction movie is: a story which takes place within a plausible technical background. The reason I didn't mention Trek or Star Wars in my listing is because they both use impossiblity layered upon impossibility. (warp drive, transporters, light sabers, disintigrations without residue, huge numbers of alien species able to live within an earth-like enviroment, psychic powers) I also didn't inlcude giant bugs or Godzilla-type films because of the square cube law. These sorts of things make them into fantasy. Nothing wrong with that, mind you... but by my definition, Star Trek is about as realistic as Harry Potter.
There was a great cartoon by Phil Foglio... it was called "the difference between fantasy and science fiction" In one panel, we see a wizard defeating a dragon, who then explains the origin of the wand he used. The explaination goes on for about a half a page, detailing his quest to find it, what favors he had to do to get clues to it's location, and the various monsters and despotic rulers he had to outsmart to finally lay his hands on it.
In the second panel, we see a space hero zapping a huge, dragon-like alien monster. He explains his weapon's origin: "Sears, $19.95"
There's a lot of truth to that. ;)
Fan, I take it you read Girl Genius also? I love that comic strip, as the main character (Agatha) looks EXACTLY like this hot, red headed chick I used to know....and she was a scientist also. :)
Now, for my top fave sci-fi/sci-fantasy movies
1. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2. Star Trek (2009)
3. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country/Star Trek Nemesis
7: Dune (2001)
8: Dune (1985)
9: Battlestar Galactica (current version)
10: Battlestar Galactica (1978)
11: Children of Dune
12: Forbidden Planet
13: 2001: A Space Odyssey
14: Starship Troopers
1.Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
2.Star Trek XI
3.Star Trek III The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
6.Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
8.Star Trek The Motion Picture
11.Star Trek V The Final Frontier
17.Star Wars IV A New Hope
18.Star Wars V The Empire Strikes Back
19.Star Wars XI Return of the Jedi
20.Star Wars 1
21.Star Wars 2
22.Star Wars 3
25.Lost in Space (movie)
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:20 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.