The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cutting Room Floor (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6943)

Damage75 05-05-2009 03:49 PM

Cutting Room Floor

Can anyone explain to me why this movie was shortened?

Apparently, we're not going to see alot of Nero's backstory because they had to "get the movie down".

Why would you have to do that? The movie is just over 2 hours...it was going to be almost 2 hours & 20 min....what is the big deal about 20 more minutes?

Plus, you've already paid for the scene to be shot, and the actors have already performed it, so aren't you throwing away money by not airing it?

What gives?

martok2112 05-05-2009 03:51 PM

Perhaps it will be restored on the blu-ray release.

Star Trek unrated edition. WOW! Now that has a ring to it! :)

RedShirtsRuS 05-05-2009 03:55 PM

I don't like it when a lot of stuff doesn't make it into the movie as well. LOTR was a hit and every single movie was over 3 hours long.

Transformers is near 2.5 hours long and it was also a hit.

martok2112 05-05-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS (Post 186232)
I don't like it when a lot of stuff doesn't make it into the movie as well. LOTR was a hit and every single movie was over 3 hours long.

Let's not forget Batman Begins and The Dark Knight :)

BTW, whether 7 minutes, or 20 minutes...I'm happy we finally have another Trek movie that's actually OVER 2 hours. The last being TMP.

MrQ1701 05-05-2009 04:05 PM

Wasn't there a review where the author made the same complaint, about the lack of understanding Nero. He was just "missing" for some 25 years and then shows up with an ear chewed up!

jerhanner 05-05-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS (Post 186232)

How true re. LotR. Something like Nero's backstory should have made it in to a theater release!

At least it bodes well for a juicy director's cut!

JasonSTForever 05-05-2009 04:52 PM

Perhaps these "big holes" such as Nero's backstory will leave room for a refreshed book franchise for Star Trek, similar to what Star Wars has going for it. Don't get me wrong, a book doesn't have the great visuals of a movie, but I've read many a star wars book and the imagination often amazes me :) Just something else to consider...

Jason

wasabi_fandango 05-05-2009 05:20 PM

Generally, the shorter a film is, the more it can be shown.

RedShirtsRuS 05-05-2009 05:24 PM

The Dark Knight was nearly 2 and a half hours long too. That has to be said. Wasabi, I hear what you're saying, but the majority of the biggest blockbusters of all time have been made in just the past 10 years and they usually run a lot longer than 2 hours.

JSnyder4 05-05-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage75 (Post 186222)
Can anyone explain to me why this movie was shortened?

Same reason movies are edited to begin with.
Pacing and run time are the big hitters.

Just because a movie is longer doesn't automatically make it better.