The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   star trek on blue ray (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6896)

jtrek79 05-04-2009 07:11 AM

star trek on blue ray

so...i finaly got them,both the movies and season 1 of tos...i d thought i d share some of my thoughts with u in this small review

for the movies,i d like to point out that only the first six motion pictures are present.all of them have natural and vibrant colors with excellent contrast,u can see every detail u couldnt on dvd,there is no grain present
the sound is dolby true hd 7.1 with incredible clarity,note that u ll need special equipment to decode this,my only gripe is that we dont get to see robert wise's directors edition for tmp,we have the standard sfx version instead,they could add it,but they didnt,on each movie there are some new extras like the starfleet datababe..trust me she's a datababe
a woman presenting info regarding planets or events featured in the movie
and a couple new,also older extras from the dvds are featured here

For tos season 1 , i can only say...this a diamond..tremendous picture,dts hd 7.1 sound and a gazillion of extras plus the extras previously presented on dvd version,there is one bad thing , at least for me , you cant stretch the screen to fill vertical lines,if somehow your tv set permits,(mine cant,neither my ps3)distortion makes the heads look like coconuts

to sum up .. this is an incredible purchase considering of course the fact that u care for superior image and sound.it literaly beams trek to a whole new different level.

horatio 05-04-2009 07:21 AM

Well seems as if that new Blueray stuff indeed uses its extra memory for a higher picture quality. I am a bit conservative, especially with my wallet and, believe me or not, still have an old VHS player and the respective Trek movie tapes. :o

jla1987 05-04-2009 07:45 AM

I'm really looking forward to the movie collection. How are the special features? The Starfleet Academy on each disc sounded interesting.

jtrek79 05-04-2009 07:48 AM

well the new features are not as elaborate as the older ones,basic stuff like presentations from rare item collectors and text info while watching the presentation and thats for the movies,tos series has some new cool stuff to show plus new narrations

jla1987 05-04-2009 08:31 AM

I'll get the TOS set later. I just happened to find the movie collection for a good price. :)

jtrek79 05-04-2009 08:44 AM

i almost forgot,there is a special 7th bonus bd disc,the captains summit,featuring capt kirk,capt picard,capt riker and ambassador spock with guinan as special guest and narrator.its 70 minutes and quite funny.they are sharing memories along the way.
and something else.....star trek 2 has its previously added extended scenes chopped , if u own the 2 disc release u will know what i am talking about

ultimately thats all ....i guess

martok2112 05-04-2009 04:47 PM

Aye, I got the TOS Blu-Ray the day it came out. Wow...what a purchase. I love it.

Will get the movies in a few days.

We were forewarned that these would be the original theatrical versions, and not special editions....although they could've put the special editions on there, just as the blu-ray TOS collection has both original and remastered versions of the episodes....and you can toggle between the two versions (using the angle button) for comparison.

Elizadolots 05-04-2009 08:46 PM

The movies are out? Dang....I had no idea...obviously, I'm out of the loop. I have the first season on order. I'll have to look into the movie thing....I'm sort of thinking that might not be in my budget.

MissionTrek08 05-04-2009 08:58 PM

The ST Motion Picture Collection BD set isn't available in the states until May 12th.

jla1987 05-06-2009 07:53 AM

I changed my mind last night. I decided to get the TOS set since it's only 64 bucks on Amazon. Won't be here for 1 to 3 weeks, but that price is unbelievable.