The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Writers Strike is Over!!! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629)

tomalak301 02-12-2008 09:54 PM

Writers Strike is Over!!!

Now people can go on with thier lives now that they get TV back. I was really hoping we would wait until after the 25th (Let it affect the politically driven academy awards in which the one movie I'm rooting for is Juno) but at least the writers go a fair deal.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Striking Hollywood writers are going back to work.

The Writers Guild of America said its members voted Tuesday to end their devastating, three-month strike that brought the entertainment industry to a standstill.

Writers will be back on the job Wednesday after voting in Beverly Hills and New York.

"At the end of the day, everybody won," Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS Corp (CBS, Fortune 500)., told The Associated Press. "It was a fair deal and one that the companies can live with, and it recognizes the large contribution that writers have made to the industry."

Moonves was among the media executives who helped broker a deal after talks between the guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, collapsed in acrimony in December.

Residuals for TV shows and movies distributed online was the most contentious issue in the bitter dispute involving the 12,000-member union and the world's largest media companies and other producers.

Under a tentative contract approved Sunday by the union's board of directors, writers would get a maximum flat fee of about $1,200 for streamed programs in the deal's first two years and then get 2 percent of a distributor's gross in year three.

"These advances now give us a foothold in the digital age," said Patric Verrone, president of the West Coast guild. "Rather than being shut out of the future of content creation and delivery, writers will lead the way as television migrates to the Internet."

One winner in the vote was the Academy Awards, which can now be staged Feb. 24 without the threat of pickets or a boycott by actors that would have dulled the glamour of Hollywood's signature celebration.

The strike's end will allow many hit series to return this spring for what's left of the current season, airing anywhere from four to seven new episodes. Shows with marginal audience numbers may not return until fall or could be canceled.

"It will be all hands on deck for the writing staff," said Chris Mundy, co-executive producer of CBS' drama "Criminal Minds." He hopes to get a couple of scripts in the pipeline right away, with about seven episodes airing by the end of May.

The combined New York-Beverly Hills count was overwhelmingly in favor of ending the strike: 3,492 voted yes, with only 283 voting to stay off the job.

Writers did not vote on whether to formally accept the tentative deal, which was reached after a Feb. 1 breakthrough between union negotiators and studio executives.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

starbase63 02-13-2008 05:10 AM

Does this mean they can add The Shat to the movie after all? :001_tongue:

Magellanic 02-13-2008 06:24 AM

aHA. I was right! And those guys on the IRC doubted me. Psh.

Thanks for the link.

Ditroi 02-13-2008 06:47 AM

SWEET!!! Now people can get back to work!! finally!

sir num nums 02-13-2008 08:02 AM

I am so happy...

1) The writers can start making money again

2) Most shows will be coming back in a month or so

Although, Saturday Night Live will be back FEB 23rd :D

ctiii 02-13-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbase63 (Post 12513)
Does this mean they can add The Shat to the movie after all? :001_tongue:

One can only hope SB.

As an aside, I hear that Boston legal might not be coming back in the fall. :sad: I really hope that isnt true, as it's one of my favorite shows.

tomalak301 02-13-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir num nums (Post 12589)
I am so happy...

1) The writers can start making money again

2) Most shows will be coming back in a month or so

Although, Saturday Night Live will be back FEB 23rd :D

That might be a show worth watching. I'm not that into SNL lately, but it will be interesting to see what happens with this show that has been off the air for months.

JabYerWocky 02-13-2008 09:22 AM

alot of shows won't be back until the fall

_Eris_ 02-13-2008 01:32 PM

Yay, now I can watch the only tv show I watch again, The Office!

sir num nums 02-13-2008 02:09 PM

Hero's will not be back until the Fall, well any show that requires a lot of SFX.