The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it an alternate timeline or universe? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6083)

Diron Hod 03-31-2009 04:00 PM

Is it an alternate timeline or universe?

Which is it, regardless of interveiws and stuff what do you think?

buffs79 03-31-2009 04:05 PM

Well, an alternate universe is a completely seperate universe from all other Trek mythos (such as the Mirror Universe, & maybe the Yest. Enterprise universe)

While an Alternate Timeline was faithful to the "Main" timeline up to a certain point, where it was changed.

This film has a timeline that is completely normal up to when the Narada attacks the USS Kelvin. The moment that happens we have an alternate timeline.

omegaman 03-31-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffs79 (Post 166784)
Well, an alternate universe is a completely seperate universe from all other Trek mythos (such as the Mirror Universe, & maybe the Yest. Enterprise universe)

While an Alternate Timeline was faithful to the "Main" timeline up to a certain point, where it was changed.

This film has a timeline that is completely normal up to when the Narada attacks the USS Kelvin. The moment that happens we have an alternate timeline.

Not so sure about the last part, I think there's something a little more to it than that.

NCC-73515 03-31-2009 04:15 PM

It's the same. Another universe = another timeline.

Beetlescott 03-31-2009 04:22 PM

I think whatever happens in this movie, timeline or alternate reality, I think the reason for the movie is Spock knows that Nero intends to mess with the timeline by killing Kirk, and he (spock) is going back to fix things and set them aright. Of course you know what they say about opinions:001_tongue:

omegaman 03-31-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetlescott (Post 166801)
I think whatever happens in this movie, timeline or alternate reality, I think the reason for the movie is Spock knows that Nero intends to mess with the timeline by killing Kirk, and he (spock) is going back to fix things and set them aright. Of course you know what they say about opinions:001_tongue:

Semi-spoiler

vuedoc 04-02-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 166808)
Semi-spoiler

Question:

Captain Tom Coughlin 04-02-2009 03:16 PM

I voted for changing the "main" timeline because I believe that the Orci interviews are the basis for the fans belief that there will be parallel universes, but I don't think there will be any evidence of it actually in the film. And to me, all that counts is what will be on the screen.

ntbone 04-02-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuedoc (Post 167896)
Question:

answer

vuedoc 04-02-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntbone (Post 167902)
answer

You have #4 already?