The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forget the Klingons, What about the Romulans look!! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543)

Captain April 02-09-2008 08:33 AM

Forget the Klingons, What about the Romulans look!!

I like a lot of things that the next generation did but one of the things I really hated was when they gave the Romulans bumpy foreheads! It made no sense at all since the Romulans and the Vulcans were suppose to be the same race!! It didn't work at all how could Spock pass for a Romulan when every other Romulan had a bumpy head except for Spock!!! If you noticed in Star Trek VI the Romulan Ambassador looked like a classic Romulan,I hope they correct this in this Movie.

Plasma Stud 02-09-2008 08:35 AM

As you get older you start thinking how ridiculous all these aliens are when they start speaking english.

starbase63 02-09-2008 08:46 AM

At least STVI kept it right...apparently something happened between the time of STVI and "The Neutral Zone" that caused the Romulans to gain the ridges.

Again, if canon is to be respected, they should look as they did in TOS...just like Vulcans.

Captain_of_the_Enterprise 02-09-2008 08:52 AM

Yeah, I never got the bumps either, I guess they were just trying to distinguish between them and the vulcans... IDK
But I always think of the Romulans as how Mark Lenard looked in Balance of Terror. So hopefully it will be the same.

HRH The KING 02-09-2008 08:56 AM

The Romulans should appear with smooth foreheads.

I like the fact they are identical in appearance to Vulcans, but polar opposites in terms of mindset and philosophy

Plasma Stud 02-09-2008 09:04 AM

The hard part is accepting there is human-like people in the universe. I suppose that is what Star Treking is all about. I always wondered why if there was a need for a Spock from Vulcan why he had to look different from the people on earth. Perhaps they want to portray some sort of evolutionary difference. I drifted awy from Star Trek as I got older because the TV series started to get ridiculous.

I would be interested in seeing something more aggressive than what we are use to seeing.

trekkie1701 02-09-2008 09:10 AM

Well if they are going to follow cannon, the young Kirk shouldn't see a romulan until "Balance of Terror"

marcrm 02-09-2008 09:15 AM

Updated Romulans

Yup, I never got the bumpy look either. But I do like those evil looking eyebrows! :001_smile:

Plasma Stud 02-09-2008 09:18 AM

The one thing I have never understood in any of the Star Treks, was how come the alien beings did not have superior technology. If Kirk could go up against some superior weaponry and get really intense, not to mention an OMG what is that, that might trun around the franchise.

MissionTrek08 02-09-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trekkie1701 (Post 10347)
Well if they are going to follow cannon, the young Kirk shouldn't see a romulan until "Balance of Terror"

I think the (plot) point in the new film is that the future changes that past for Kirk, and thus will amend canon with new information.