The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spock's Bridge Outburst, WARNING: Contains speculation that may be actually spoilers? (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5202)

omegaman 01-16-2009 02:20 PM

Spock's Bridge Outburst, WARNING: Contains speculation that may be actually spoilers?

Does Spock's outburst with Kirk on the bridge of the new Enterprise mean something significant?

Could contain spoilers:

CAPTAIN MOUSE 01-16-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 140588)
Does Spock's outburst with Kirk on the bridge of the new Enterprise mean something significant?

Could contain spoilers:

It is my belief that New Spock is merely younger and not as disciplined as his counterpart is in TOS. Plus it has always been a struggle for Spock in any era to keep emotions in check. Remember his little outburst with Valeris? When he slapped the phaser away and growled with anger at her in TUC?

MrQ1701 01-16-2009 02:45 PM

Spock will be younger and in less control of his emotions.

NCC-73515 01-16-2009 03:14 PM

He smiles when he touches a singing plant ;)
And Vulcans have emotions. It is just the life-long learning process of suppression that doesn't always work...

cjopbj 01-16-2009 03:20 PM

Spock shows emotion on Star Trek all the time. He's playfully irritated with McCoy, he's loyal to Kirk, caring of the ship and crew, and very easily embarrased of his human side. The computer I'm using to send this message shows me none of these feelings unless I press the icon buttom :001_cool:

He's cried and laughed. It wouldn't be Star Trek if it wasn't about trying to make Spock show emotions.

The entire basis of the McCoy/Spock banter is that McCoy is trying to help Spock release emotions in a gradual, safe manner so he doesn't bottle them all up and explode. Since the movie apparently is set around the time Spock meets McCoy, it makes sense that he's kept his emotions under lock and key and is ripe for an outburst. Spock learned a lot from McCoy. I hope the movie gives McCoy his due.

NCC-73515 01-16-2009 03:44 PM

He cried in TMP, smiled in Cage and WNMHGB, oh and remember his "JIM!!!!" at the end of Amok Time :D

omegaman 01-16-2009 03:55 PM

it's only my opinion but...

There has to be more to his reaction than mere undisciplined emotional behaviour, he is a Star Fleet officer and therefore his behaviour on the bridge would not be acceptable under Star Fleet regulations regardless of the circumstances.

cjopbj 01-16-2009 06:36 PM

This is what I've read about the outburst:

Spoiler

Beetlescott 01-16-2009 07:40 PM

We all saw Spock down through the early years try to keep a lid on his feelings. Many times he was unsuccessful. He laughed and wept when struck by the pods, he cried and screamed in the Naked Time when he got drunk. And, like someone said, he laughed and smiled in The Menagerie. I think this is just another day for Spock even if someone else had an agenda. :D

Elizadolots 01-16-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjopbj (Post 140620)
This is what I've read about the outburst:

Spoiler

I heard the same thing. It was, I think, one of the scenes shown when Abrams did his little "advance viewing" tour of the world....

And, it is absolutely true that early Spock was much more open about his emotions (smiling at the flowers, smirking at Uhura when she sings a suggestive song about him) than later Spock....and yet, later Spock was far more volatile...when he blew, he blew big!