The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Big Canon Violation!! (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5181)

tomcatjosh 01-14-2009 12:09 PM

Big Canon Violation!!

Ok, In the trailer, we see the Enterprise Enter WARP While Just outside of Earth's Orbit... I Thought You Have To Have Cleared The Solar System Before You Could Go To Warp?

MrQ1701 01-14-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatjosh (Post 139954)
Ok, In the trailer, we see the Enterprise Enter WARP While Just outside of Earth's Orbit... I Thought You Have To Have Cleared The Solar System Before You Could Go To Warp?

There are numerous episodes where warp is engaged while in a planetary system. You are correct that there were other instances where it is implied warp drive can cause massive damage to planets if engaged in close proximity, but it is NOT a canon violation in my opinion, just one of those Trek inconsistencies better left alone.

CAPTAIN MOUSE 01-14-2009 12:15 PM

Not sure about that one...and I am sure I will be corrected if I say anything right now with out looking it up. I think you can go to warp inside a solar system as long as you sufficient clearance from a planets atmospheric layers and gravity well. But I may be mistaken.

Admiral Archer 01-14-2009 12:16 PM

In Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, when Kirk steals the Enterprise, it goes into warp only a couple of hundred meters outside the spacedock doors, and with Excelsior hot on its heels. This indicates it is indeed posible to go into warp, even from in orbit around a planet.

tomcatjosh 01-14-2009 12:17 PM

Very True

TJJones 01-14-2009 12:19 PM

STIV: Bird of Prey looks like it's going to warp within the Earth's atmosphere. STTMP: They went to warp within the solar system.

Those are just two examples. I'm sure there are plenty more (I think they did that regularly throughout TNG).

The only mention of that requirement that I remember is a captain's log from TMP, where Kirk says they have to risk going into warp while still in the solar system. We don't know why it was considered a "risk"...perhaps it's a space traffic issue to prevent ships from warping in and out and causing collisions by providing a "non-warp zone" for in-system traffic. Not every restriction has to be based on catastrophic limits of technology (and, based on on-screen evidence, there doesn't seem to be a technological reason behind that restriction).

Again, though, this is an irrelevant issue. The story doesn't hinge on whether the ship enters warp within a solar system.

CAPTAIN MOUSE 01-14-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJJones (Post 139966)
STIV: Bird of Prey looks like it's going to warp within the Earth's atmosphere. STTMP: They went to warp within the solar system.

Those are just two examples. I'm sure there are plenty more (I think they did that regularly throughout TNG).

The only mention of that requirement that I remember is a captain's log from TMP, where Kirk says they have to risk going into warp while still in the solar system. We don't know why it was considered a "risk"...perhaps it's a space traffic issue to prevent ships from warping in and out and causing collisions by providing a "non-warp zone" for in-system traffic. Not every restriction has to be based on catastrophic limits of technology (and, based on on-screen evidence, there doesn't seem to be a technological reason behind that restriction).

Again, though, this is an irrelevant issue. The story doesn't hinge on whether the ship enters warp within a solar system.

the reason they didn't want to go to warp inside th solar system is for fear of creating a wormhole effect again.

TJJones 01-14-2009 12:31 PM

The wormhole was created by an imbalance in the engines, and the captain's log statement happened before the malfunction.

Saquist 01-14-2009 12:32 PM

Not a couple of Hundred meters....Checkov reports 4,000 meters and the Excelsior is just clearing the Station's perimeter.

In any case the whole warping too close to planets has to the do with magnetic fields. It' not that i'ts impossible it'st that it's dangerous.

In the book Prime Directive the Enterprise is destroy above a prewarp society that discovered them and launched nuclear war heads at the ship. The empluse engines were disabled and in order to get away because they were sinking into the atmosphere they warped.

The result was that the fields caught a field line from the planet and ripped a nacelle off a strut. In another book it was possible to warp out of earth orbit and the solarsystem becauce of accurate magnetic field fore casting as well as solar magnetic field forecasting which are far more erractic.

TJJones 01-14-2009 12:37 PM

Yeah, I knew that book would come up in the discussion. :D I try to stick to on-screen evidence, since that's the measuring stick Paramount says it uses.