The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek XI: The Movie (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Inconsistencies (http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5146)

TrekkerBob 01-11-2009 05:03 PM

Inconsistencies
 
The Trek Universe was full of seeming contridictions and inconsistencies, most of which stemmed from TOS not expecting to make such an impact.

They weren't terribly careful about every little detail, but since then, people have come up with explanations for just about everything including smooth foreheads on Klingons in the 23rd century.

Right out of the box, I notice what I thought was a glaring inconsistency in the Trek world when in the trailer, in the first scene, The young Kirk is driving a sportscar like a pro. Undoubtably due to his love for antiques. That much makes sense, but this was not an automatic transmission. It was a standard.

Now fast forward to TOS episode "A Piece of the Action". Kirk liberates a car and drives Spock a few blocks down the street almost giving them both whiplash. Spock commends Kirk on being an excellent Starship captain, but a lousy cab driver or something to that effect. Kirk didn't understand the concept of gears at all, noting that he had heard about or read about them someplace.

I know it was a decade or so later in his life, but how will they explain his total loss of memory regarding driving a standard.

Anybody else notice anything that doesn't seem to add up?

GALACTICA 01-12-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrekkerBob (Post 139089)
The Trek Universe was full of seeming contridictions and inconsistencies, most of which stemmed from TOS not expecting to make such an impact.

They weren't terribly careful about every little detail, but since then, people have come up with explanations for just about everything including smooth foreheads on Klingons in the 23rd century.

Right out of the box, I notice what I thought was a glaring inconsistency in the Trek world when in the trailer, in the first scene, The young Kirk is driving a sportscar like a pro. Undoubtably due to his love for antiques. That much makes sense, but this was not an automatic transmission. It was a standard.

Now fast forward to TOS episode "A Piece of the Action". Kirk liberates a car and drives Spock a few blocks down the street almost giving them both whiplash. Spock commends Kirk on being an excellent Starship captain, but a lousy cab driver or something to that effect. Kirk didn't understand the concept of gears at all, noting that he had heard about or read about them someplace.

I know it was a decade or so later in his life, but how will they explain his total loss of memory regarding driving a standard.

Anybody else notice anything that doesn't seem to add up?

they wont explain it. because its immaterial. it doesnt matter. its splitting hairs.
things like this have to just be let go.

because it doesnt matter.

12013

omegaman 01-12-2009 02:13 PM

it's only my opinion but...
 
as stated before everything about the movie takes place in another timeline where Kirk can drive a car, a motorbike etc. So, if they were ever to make another episode titled "A PIECE OF THE ACTION" in that timeline then Kirk will be able to drive that car and give Spock the ride of his life!

CAPTAIN MOUSE 01-12-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 139353)
as stated before everything about the movie takes place in another timeline where Kirk can drive a car, a motorbike etc. So, if they were ever to make another episode titled "A PIECE OF THE ACTION" in that timeline then Kirk will be able to drive that car and give Spock the ride of his life!

Why not I think that would be funnier than hell and something I would love to see!:thumbup:

MrQ1701 01-12-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrekkerBob (Post 139089)
The Trek Universe was full of seeming contridictions and inconsistencies, most of which stemmed from TOS not expecting to make such an impact.

They weren't terribly careful about every little detail, but since then, people have come up with explanations for just about everything including smooth foreheads on Klingons in the 23rd century.

Right out of the box, I notice what I thought was a glaring inconsistency in the Trek world when in the trailer, in the first scene, The young Kirk is driving a sportscar like a pro. Undoubtably due to his love for antiques. That much makes sense, but this was not an automatic transmission. It was a standard.

Now fast forward to TOS episode "A Piece of the Action". Kirk liberates a car and drives Spock a few blocks down the street almost giving them both whiplash. Spock commends Kirk on being an excellent Starship captain, but a lousy cab driver or something to that effect. Kirk didn't understand the concept of gears at all, noting that he had heard about or read about them someplace.

I know it was a decade or so later in his life, but how will they explain his total loss of memory regarding driving a standard.

Anybody else notice anything that doesn't seem to add up?

Even without the alternate universe explanation, examples like the one above do NOT bother me one bit. Can kirk drive a car or not? Not something I consider "canon", just minor details that were written in order to add humor (or in the case of the new movie, action) to an episode. There are lots of these minor details that are really NOT worth scrutinizing.

:beatdeadhorse5::nopity:

Indestructible Object 01-12-2009 04:28 PM

It was an alien built car, based on descriptions of a car in a book, so the gear shift is different then a real car because the aliens built it wrong, so Kirk has a hard time driving it. Problem solved, cannon saved, the end. :laugh:

CDH-313 01-12-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indestructible Object (Post 139380)
It was an alien built car, based on descriptions of a car in a book, so the gear shift is different then a real car because the aliens built it wrong, so Kirk has a hard time driving it. Problem solved, cannon saved, the end. :laugh:

And it was based on a car from the 1920s.

Indestructible Object 01-12-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDH-313 (Post 139384)
And it was based on a car from the 1920s.

Look at that, now we can all be happy about the car!

CDH-313 01-12-2009 05:01 PM

. . . and move on to the Enterprise being built on Earth. :001_cool:

mmoore 01-12-2009 05:31 PM



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.